Dear Mom, I Don't Say This Enough

Dear Mom, I Don't Say This Enough

Thank you for being there for me

12
Dear Mom, I Don't Say This Enough
Bailee State

Dear Mom,

I don't thank you nearly as much as I should. You have been there for me through everything, no matter what. Even when tragedy struck us both, you would never allow me to succumb to sadness--you always pushed me to still do my best. So, thank you mom.

Thank you for not being necessarily a 'cool' mom, not allowing me to have no rules and do whatever I want. I live a structured life on my own now because of you. But, even though you aren't a 'cool' mom by definition, you're a cool mom in my eyes. I understand now that when you would have certain rules and ways of doing things, you only wanted to shape me into a functioning adult who can do things on her own. Even though you aren't Regina's mom from Mean Girls, I don't care because you're my mom.

Thank you for being my best friend. As I got older, I realized that you were the only person I could rely on to be there no matter when I needed her no matter what. Our relationship now is less of a mother-daughter, and more best friends. Through breakups and friend drama, you were a constant good in this roller coaster life. You're the best friend a girl could ask for.

Thank you for teaching me how to be independent. Because of you, I know and am comfortable with the idea of being alone, and enjoying it. I realize now that it am my happiest when I am by myself, and I do believe I learned that from you. From you, I learned that I do not have to have anyone by my side to achieve greatness. Independence is something that is greatly lacking in women today, but because of you I know that I don't owe anyone anything, and I can make my own dreams come true.

Thank you for teaching me the love of sports. Without sports, my life would have been so extremely boring. Growing up, you and Dad made sure that there was some sort of game on the TV; if we weren't at one of my games, Bubba's or Sissy's. Knowing how much softball did for you, and the discipline it taught you, from a young age I knew I wanted to do that. Softball and Volleyball gave me some of the greatest friends I could ask for. Thank you for pushing me to be my best, even if I was tired or didn't feel like trying.

Thank you for teaching me how to be a woman. Everything I know about dating, boys, and being a woman in this world comes from watching you kicking butt and taking names. You taught me that it might take a while to find the man of my dreams, but when I do it will all be worth it. You taught me that wearing a little bit of makeup to go workout is not a bad thing. Most importantly, you taught me how to be strong in the face of adversity.

I know these past few years haven't been easy on our family, but you have been my rock through it all. I have learned so much from you, this barely begins to cover it.

Thank you, Mom. I love you.