Dear Miss Independent

Dear Miss Independent

*Listens to Miss Independent by Destiny's Child while feeling sassy*

10
Dear Miss Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/

in·de·pend·ent: free from outside control; not depending on another's authority.

I was raised to not depend on anyone, for that I am thankful. You think that you have everything figured out while thinking you don't have anything figured out at all.

It must first be said that independence is not a burden, but rather a strength. When nothing is holding you back, you can do virtually anything that you please. Too many times I have seen people held back by the fear of being alone. Whether this be attending an out-of-state university or traveling for an internship, you must trust yourself to take off and succeed even if it means being migrating away from the herd. Growth begins once you step aside from your own comfort zone.

I know when you are out with your friends you think that you will never need someone to love you. But I also know that when you go home after a night out on the town you wonder if anyone will ever be able to love you for your independent self. Something I can tell you is do not ever settle for anything less than you know that you deserve!

Independent women tend to be called selfish. BE SELFISH! There is nothing wrong with working on yourself and being by yourself to get where you need to be in life. I have noticed that men tend to be scared of independent women and I think that is because they know that the women can make it without them in their lives.

An independent woman has been broken to the point of no return. She has picked herself up off the ground way too many times and she knows that she can make it without anyone by her side. An independent woman will be able to make it on her own and she will know that she can.

Something that I should tell you is that know yourself, and know yourself well. There will be times where you must be your own best friend. Know when you need to be alone and when you need a friend to lean on. Know how to cheer yourself up after an atrocious day and how to reward yourself when feeling accomplished. Understanding who you are and what you need is vital to being healthily independent.

As an independent woman, I am perfectly okay with being all by myself. Do I like being by myself? Not at all! But I know that if I needed to be, I can be.

You are feisty. You have the power to change the world and you know that you do. You do not take sass from anyone and you will not bite your tongue. You are an inspiration to younger ladies everywhere, so do not ever quit being independent. It is up to us independent women to show girls that they can be strong and can make it on their own.