What I Would Give For Just Five More Minutes

Have you ever wondered what it would look like to have five more minutes in a room with a loved one who has passed?

42

Loved ones have come and gone throughout the years. It's just the way of life, I guess, but I think that I can speak for almost everyone when I say that I don't think there is anything we wouldn't give to just have five more minutes with someone who has passed.

Five more minutes to ask any final questions we may have. Five more minutes to say whatever we need to say to get off our chest and well… Five more minutes to just hug our loved ones again and for some… Five minutes to actually get to say goodbye.

For my five minutes, I think I can speak for my mom too when I say I would want to spend it with my grandmother. My mom's mom. I never got to meet my grandmother, she passed away when my mom was 17.

I can't tell you what I would give to be in a room with both my mom and my grandmother. To see the interaction, to see my mom's face, the way my grandmother would look at my mom and the way my mom would look at her mom and to see her facial expressions when she sees me… Would she know who I was or that I even existed? But to also finally be able to meet my grandmother.

My mom never got to say goodbye to her mom. Nobody did. Her passing was sudden.

She was supposed to come home from the hospital the day she passed, my mom had arrived at the hospital expecting to bring her mom home that day. She walked into an empty hospital room and that's when she found out…

I can't imagine the hurt and the pain my mom went through. She didn't have her mom there on her wedding day or to help her once she had her first baby. My mom is my hero, no matter how "childish" that may sound. For the major life events, I don't know what I would do if I didn't have her there, to hold my hand through it all.

To have five more minutes with my grandmother… Oh, the questions I would ask, such as what would she want us to call her? Grandma? Nanna? If she could give me one piece of advice, what would that be? I also wonder what her voice would sound like…

If there was ever a way that we could just get five more minutes with a loved one up in heaven I think that we would all be a little happier in life, just a little more fulfilled and who knows maybe we would even come out of these five minutes as better people? Or have a wanting to become a better person for that loved one.

Oh dear Lord, what I would give for just five more minutes…