Dear Heart: An Open Letter to the Real OG

26
Ben Kerckx/ pixabay

Dear Heart,

From day one, you've been fighting for me. From heart murmurs, to breaking, to emptiness, to fulfillment, to happiness. I am so proud of all you've done and continue to do. Most of all, though, thank you for being so big and open; for continuing to love and give and let light in. You've seen more in our 21 years than a normal heart should, but you never let me lose sight of what was important.

I knew you were special from the moment I realized what you were and what you could do. You let me feel all the pain, guilt, and sadness of others, while allowing me to grow my own love for them to make up for what they lacked. Even when someone didn't deserve it or hurt me to the point of no return, you never let me love them any less. For that, I thank you; I thank you because it allowed me to see the truths of the world, no matter the ugliness or bitterness.

I am continually striving to be my best me, and helping others to see their best selves as well. It's hard in the world we live in to be so open and accepting and willing and loving, but I was lucky enough to be blessed with you, heart, because I can share you with everyone who was not so lucky. Our world has so much hatred and animosity and distrust, that it's saddening and upsetting to see so many affected by it to the point of complete isolation of their heart and feelings. We feel because of our hearts, we love because of our hearts, we live because of our hearts, and to see so many people banish what their heart wants is completely maddening when there's proof of the joys the heart can bring.

You are far from perfect, I know, but you're as close to it as a human heart can get; I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I'm thankful for you. You've been underappreciated by many who've had the extraordinary pleasure of experiencing just a smidgen of you, unable to handle you in your generous, loving entirety. You scare people, heart, because of your complete open honesty, unconditional love, quick forgiveness, and strong empathy. You scare me, too because what you give me is so much sometimes, I don't know how to handle it. Despite this, you still give and give and give, to me and everyone else, forcing us to feel everything.

Heart, I am forever indebted to you for all the love and joy and sadness you bring me, on a daily, monthly, yearly basis. Even now, as I sit at work, letting thoughts overtake me and pain consume me, you are sending endless amounts of hope and peace. How can I not trust what you feel, when you've gotten me this far? How can I not take what you're willing to give when I am desperate for it? How can I not be grateful for you when I am nothing without you?

This is my letter to you, Heart, because you, and I, deserve it and need to remember it.