To The "Washed-Up" Athletes

To The "Washed-Up" Athletes

Be grateful to have been a part of something that meant so much to you, something that made saying goodbye so damn hard.

2876
To The "Washed-Up" Athletes
The Daily Gazette

No matter what sport, there comes a time in any athlete’s life where you have to decide when to hang up the sneakers, cleats, skates, or dance shoes. In the grand scheme of things, this decision does not seem too detrimental compared to some of the other major decisions we make in our lives. But anyone who has been through this, knows that in the moment of actually making that decision, it seemed like your world was crashing down.

Playing sports while growing up and at the competitive high school level gave you a meaning and in some sense, it gave you a home. A place to escape from all other reality outside of your sport. No school work, no drama at home or with your friends; just simply you and your passion.

You and I both know, there’s literally no better feeling than the team comradery and hype before a big game. Whether that entailed a pregame dance party in the locker room, a team prayer, a silent visualization of you beside your teammates holding the championship plaque, or just listening to your coach’s little pre-game motivational speech.

The decision to either continue my athletic career through college or to move on may have been one of the hardest things I have ever done thus far in my life.

I speak from my standpoint of having that choice, but I know there are plenty of you out there that did not even have that choice. I felt that too. It hurts. It feels as though something that has literally defined you for so many years of your life is being ripped from your identity. You go from being able to say, “I play this, am a state champion in this, and a section all-star in this” to saying things like “I used to play this,” when really you feel deep down that you should just be saying “I used to be a pretty big deal when I played this, but now I’m washed-up and just not a big deal at all.”

It stings. I know.

But as you look back on all the times you shared with your teammates and coaches- all of the dreaded workouts, early morning practices, bumps and bruises, wins and losses- just remember all of the amazing times you had. Be grateful to have been a part of something that meant so much to you, something that made saying goodbye so damn hard.

To my fellow washed-up athletes - It’s okay to refer to yourself as that, but do so with a laugh; because although you may not be a part of that anymore, it will always be a part of you. You will always be an athlete, it’s in your DNA. It’s okay to walk around your new campus and be jealous of the collegiate athletes around you. It’s okay to look through old pictures or watch old videos; do it, those were some of the greatest times of your life. Just don’t forget that it’s also okay that you moved on. It’s okay to be sad from time to time, but be happy that you are lucky enough to have something so great to look back on.

It’s time to start the next chapter in your life. Think of all of the valuable lessons you’ve learned from your athletic career and put them to use in your current actions and new passions. Move forward in your life with dignity and poise; don’t be bitter about being washed-up. I consider myself lucky to say I’m a washed-up athlete, because while I walk past my cleats, sneakers, dance shoes, and other old equipment as they collect dust in the garage; it reminds me of the old me and how I physically and mentally grew so much throughout my life through those sports. Those sports, teams, and coaches impacted my life in such a way where I simply would just not be the person I am today.

Being washed-up doesn’t mean you can never return to your beloved passion of yesteryear, of course you can. There are plenty of club teams and other opportunities to get back into it. The hard part is it just will never be the same as your old team; the people you grew up with and made irreplaceable memories with. I would go back in a heartbeat to play one more game with my team, or dance one more routine at a competition, as I’m sure you would as well; but we can’t. And I’m here to tell you - that it’s okay, and you’ll learn to be okay with that being in your past.

A piece of me will always feel like it is missing as I continue to grow and take on new adventures and experiences in my life. But the raw emotion that comes along whenever I think about my past as an athlete just goes to show that it is and always will be a part of me.

No part of me is missing, it is only taking the back seat for awhile, allowing me to take steps forward into my future.