Dear Dad, Thank You

Dear Dad, Thank You

The more you grow up the more I realize how there is no man better than my dad. I don't mean to get emotional here, but whoops.

434
Dear Dad, Thank You
Bailey Martin

Let me start out by saying, me and my dad didn't always get along. We butted heads a lot, he didn't agree with me all the time and I definitely didn't agree with him, but oh well... you don't agree with everyone in life anyways.

My dad stepped in when my real dad couldn't, as most know, my real dad died of cancer when I was a baby, and my mom remarried my "step"-dad when I was 7, so truly, he's been the only father figure in my life.

So Dad, thank you for everything you have ever done for me, my mom, and my brother. You have always made sure we have had more than enough and for that, I am forever thankful. You've worked long hours, you've had long days, you've stayed up worrying about me just to make sure I got home safe, thank you.

Thank you for still being my shoulder to cry on. Whether it be about a skint knee, a bad grade, a big change, or your favorite (sarcasm should be detected here)... a boy... No matter how many times you tell me "no," (and yes that was a lot) you still let me cry to you when I needed you most. And let me just say, that was a rough time and a different kind of pain.

Thank you for showing me what real love is and never breaking my heart. You are so strong, and I wish to be half the person you and mom are together. You are my superhero. You have loved me from the start and took me in as your own when you sure did not have to. That is true love, thank you. You didn't leave when it got hard, you didn't just give up. You stayed and you fought for it all.

Thank you for loving me more than any man ever will. As daughters grow up, parents, of course, want their daughter to find a great, loving, gentle, in my case level headed, man. Someone who will help her grow and develop into a better stronger person, but dads, love you with all they have. They are your rock. They will support you through it all and have your back every step of the way, even when you make a mistake because let's face it - we are human.

And thank you for always answering the phone when I need it most. It might be because I am having a mental breakdown because something is wrong with my car or I need to know how to cook something, how to fix something, or just simply want to talk. Thank you for always being there for me, and loving me for me.

And especially, thank you for raising me and treating me as your own, I love you.