An Open Letter To My Cats

An Open Letter To My Cats

I do not understand you.

5
An Open Letter To My Cats
Megan Murphy

Dear Cats,

You will never read this letter because the only things you do at the computer are lie on top of it or step all over the keyboard, but I have a few things that I want to say to you. While you are wonderful, loving, incredibly hilarious members of my family, I feel as if I have never really told you how much I appreciate you, or how much you confuse me. You are regal and ridiculous all at the same time. You demand attention one minute and then throw me disgusted glances the next. I know that we have many conversations when I am home (usually about how I know Dad already fed you) but I’ve missing you lately, so I thought I would write you this letter.

One of my favorite things about cats in general is your self assured nature. Sometimes I look at you cleaning your paws or lounging in the sun and you seem so calm and so sure of your life. I know that your world is a small one and consists of the different levels of my house and occasionally the deck and the outside when you sneak out in the summer, but you command whatever space you inhabit with the air of king or queen. Where did this confidence come from? Why do you think that you own the house that my parents bought with their own money? Why do I feel like I should give you a foot of space when you walk by? Why do I feel like you are peering into the depths of my soul whenever we happen to make eye contact? What do you know that I do not? I admire your confidence, but I would be lying if I said I do not find it at least a little unnerving at times.

Your insistence that you are a fierce hunter is something that also amuses me. I do not think you have ever actually killed a mouse. One time, I caught one of you playing with a mouse, but when it squeaked too loudly you let it go and watched as it made its escape. Is there a lesson in non-violence and compassion I am meant to learn from this?

Most of all, I am endlessly fascinated by your acceptance of us. Most of the time I think you are just as baffled by our actions as we are by yours, but time and time again you have shown nothing but affection for our family. Contrary to what some people think of you, you do not only show us love when asking for food. You know when I am sad, and will either do something ridiculous to cheer me up, or try and sit on my lap and snuggle. When Mom broke her ankle and was in bed for a month, you rarely left her side. Sometimes, you run to greet me when I’ve been gone for a long time. I love that about you. Despite the stereotype of the aloof feline, you have shown countless times that you really, truly, do care about the silly humans who live in your house. I hope you know that I care about you too.

Thank you for your mischief. Thank you for your love. Thank you for being the silly, four legged creatures who complete the picture of my family. While I do not understand everything you do, I am so grateful that you are in my life.

Love,

Your Human