An Open Letter To My Best Friend

An Open Letter To My Best Friend

A huge "thank you" for everything that you do.
39

Dear best friend,

We all know that narrative — the tale of kindred spirits and soulmates. It's what we see in movies about two people who grow up as best friends or who meet and instantly know they're bonded for eternity. But I can say with complete confidence that that is not the case for us.

Most of the years we've known each other we didn't even speak to another. In fact, if you travelled back in time even just a year and told me that we were going to be the best of friends today, I probably would have shaken my head in disbelief. But now, I can barely imagine getting through a day without one of the greatest blessings I've ever received — your friendship.

But let me begin with our bad moments. We are both awkward people who are a bit arrogant yet unsure of how to conduct ourselves in large groups of people. We have different views on social issues and we don't even like the same music. We often get into arguments and clash over small things. To be honest, there were even times I'm pretty sure we didn't even like each other all that much.

But friendship isn't about a pristine, perfect relationship that always exists between the two of us. For us, friendship is a conscious choice. It's a choice to pick each other up when we feel down. It's your choice to give me endless patience and help me sort through bad thoughts, and it's mine to stay up with you far into the AM hours to cry with you. It's our choice to not give up on each other.

And because our friendship is our choice and not some bond forged from fate and chance encounters, I know that our friendship means just as much to you as it does to me. You send a tidal wave of happiness and love to me every single day and for that, I am endlessly thankful. So although I am confident that we aren't movie-material soulmates, I'm also pretty damn confident that we're going to best friends for a long time.

Sincerely,

The most grateful friend in the world