Dear America
Politics

Dear America

This isn't funny anymore. This cruel joke has run its course.

13
Dear America
youtube.com

Dear America,

What the fuck?

I thought we were better than this. I thought we'd learned from our past and we'd progressed to a better, brighter, stronger future. I defended you. And then you went and proved me wrong.

How did this happen? How did we get here? We finally reached a point in our history at which we recognized the humanity in one another. People were finally gaining access to their fundamental human rights after decades and centuries of being denied and disregarded.

This isn't funny anymore. This cruel joke has run its course. This is an actual, terrible decision that we have made as a nation to allow hatred, bigotry, and division to run rampant in our nation. I am ashamed of us. I am embarrassed to be affiliated with you. I refuse to be defined by the terrible decisions we have made that led us to this result.

We are not a great nation. We have never been a great nation. How selfish and conceited of us to believe that we were. We have built ourselves up on the backs of the people we have stepped on to get where we are. And at this rate, we may never be good. The only hope I have to offer is that we come out of this stronger, smarter, with our eyes open and our hearts on fire for the people we have oppressed.

Just sit and think about this for a moment, America. Think about how you're going to tell your children about this election. Think about how you're going to explain to them that we took 500 steps back on November 8, 2016. Now think more short-term. Think about what you're going to tell the women in your lives. Think about the LGBTQ+ individuals. Think about the Muslims and the Mexicans and the African Americans. Think about the physically and mentally disabled. Think about everyone whose lives you just voted to destroy. Take a step back for a brief second and think about what your decision means for everyone around you.

Do not look at this situation and simply excuse yourself because it's the easy thing to do. We are all responsible for this mess that we've gotten ourselves in. We've dug the hole, we've jumped in, and now it's time for us to haul ourselves out. Nobody is coming to save us. It is time for us all to rally together and let the bully in power know that we will not stand for bigotry. We will not be defined by hatred. We will rise above this and stand together to ensure that nobody is afraid to live in this country and to freely express themselves.

Donald Trump, you do not speak for America. You do not speak for me. We will not be defined by fear or hatred or bigotry or sexism or racism or ignorance. We will rise above you and your toxic influence in our country. We are stronger together and we will not allow you to divide us. America will prevail in spite of you, but never because of you.