Black deaths
News

Black deaths

The acceptable margin of error

47
Black deaths

While the title seem like a twisted attempt at a joke, this is serious content. In the past year I have been very fortunate to work for one of the most controversial employers out there. Yes I said fortunate. Why? It's been a tremendous learning experience. Recently someone told me that I am culturally neutral. Upon reflection I realized they are sooo right. I grew up on 3 continents, most of which through my formative years. I think this is the reason I struggle most with aspects of the american culture and definitely the day to day in corporate america.

You see to me America is a nation with collective trauma from the past (history of slavery). This collective trauma is extremely dysfunctional and has only been addressed in part. It transcends all aspects of America. I am perplexed as to why people are offended by the term black lives matter? It doesn't mean it's the only lives that matter but when police follow you to profile you on a daily basis that's wrong. And God forbid you make one wrong move if they stop you....When vigilantes can gun you down in the street, that's wrong...To add it is the most bizarre thing to me that altercations between black civilians and police and black civilians and vigilantes, results in an innocent black person losing their life. That loss is an acceptable margin of error. At times it is even justifiable should they have any blemish on their past. Oh they stole as a kid (who hasn't?) Or they smoke marijuana (seriously?). That justifies killing them?

The thought process is so bizarre to me, it's like well they wouldn't have amounted to anything anyway so one less to deal with. Even more when you see black people dying disproportionately from COVID19, there is all this news coverage but nothing's done and a justification like well now there's less of them to vote for Joe Biden..it's sick

But even with all this there is one place that is never covered, being black in corporate America. There is like a non spoken code that if you are accepted into the society of corporate the daily microaggressive attacks are part of the package, and you should keep your mouth shut and just be grateful, you have access to wealth in this corporate system. The onslaught of people who often gang up against you to make you the scapegoat is justifiable. Not to mention those who aren't black who classify as persons of color taking advantage of a system stacked against you to pile on. These attacks go to the fabric of your soul. They attack the humanity of black people. It's like this. If I poked you in your eye everyday for a year, how would you feel,? I'm not sure we would even get to a year before you would knock me out. But these are what the microaggressive attacks look like but let's put a face to a name at what they look like within corporate so you can recognize it not just know its name;

1. Putting a meeting on your calendar last minute, giving all other participants a day or two heads up but leaving your African American colleague blind sided

2. Knowing something but when the shit hits the fan actively maneuvering to make your African American colleague the scapegoat

3. Moving things around without your African American colleagues knowledge like meetings, notifications etc.

4. Saying one thing to a set of colleagues but those rules don't apply to your African American colleagues.

5. Leaving your African American colleague out of events, out of trainings etc.

6. Denying privileges that you would afford any other personelle

7. Taking credit for their work

And so much more.

If you are non African American I know what your thinking, I've experienced this. But have you at 1 job, all within 1 year? Across several careers over and over. What's worst is that most not all African Americans are 5 times better at their jobs than the closest colleague. We have to be and even then, they may not see your worth. It's sad but true. I said most not all, for the rest, God forbid you need a little training or mentoring, there is no acceptable margin of error.

Awareness to me is no longer enough, it's time the laws changed again, a new civil rights by and for black people that helps to narrow the gap towards equality.

It's time for change...