Dealing With Divorce While In College

Dealing With Divorce While In College

Dealing with divorce just got harder

428
Dealing With Divorce While In College
Netdoctor

When your family goes through a divorce, it's hard enough. When your family goes through a divorce while you're miles away from home, things just a lot harder. Divorce is already confusing, then when you're not even home, you have no idea what is really going on. You want to be with your family but you can't and you want to support everyone but it's hard being so far away.

Divorce while in college is hard. You're away from your family when now is the time to really be together. You need comfort in this trying time but you're not sure where to go, you're not sure who can relate and who can reassure you that everything will be fine. You go to your friends but most of them don't know what it's like. You want to talk to your parents about it but you feel like they are already going through enough, they don't need the added stress of worrying if you'll be ok. It's also hard talking to your parents because there's always some kind of bias on the way they feel. You hear how one did the other wrong and then when you talk to the other parent, it was again, how the other did the one wrong and you're stuck in the middle of everything.

It's hard when your younger sibling calls you and tells you that your parents are fighting again. It's hard hearing that they may or may not be acting out in school because of everything that's going on. It's hard to them and it's hard to you and all you want to do is be together to support each other because only you guys know what it's like. When you're miles away from home and you're the only person they want to talk to, it's heartbreaking.

With being in college and working, it's hard to find time to make it home. When you do make it home, it may or may not be the last time that your family is together or the last time you're in your house because your family is selling it because your parents can't afford to live there alone and they need the money. The next time you go home, where is home going to be exactly? It's going to be a completely new place and it won't ever be the same because your whole family isn't there, there's someone missing.

When it comes to the end of the divorce, you can't tell if you are glad to be away from everything or if you're sad because you can't be there with your family. You're happy that you're not stuck moving, or stuck between your parents' disagreements, or stuck watching your family fall apart. But you are sad, very, very sad because that's exactly what has happened; your family has fallen apart.

You don't know where you'll be at the end of it all, but you do know that you still love your family unconditionally.