The Dos and Don'ts Of Dealing With Unwanted Pests In Dorms

I mean the six to eight legged kind...

1187
Handy

So showing up to your college dorm, you may have your precautionary anti bed bug mattress cover and your Clorox wipes, but what can you do if you do find unwelcome guests in your dorm? Here are some dos and don'ts that may just help you out.

1. Make a 'Raid' doormat

Using the can pictured above spray a doormat shape of raid outside your door and inside your room to prevent ants and roaches from coming in from the hallway. Looks like you can even by Raid on sale - perfect! Spray on.

2. Rubbing Alcohol

Helpful to have in the dorm anyway! Use rubbing alcohol around your bed to prevent bugs crawling up...It may smell for the first 30 minutes but do this every few days if you feel like you need an extra precaution.

3. Roach Killing Technique

Now normal weapons for killing bugs include, but are not limited to, shoes, books, and anything else you can grab. But, this is a very big mistake, especially for cockroaches. By stepping on a cockroach you do kill it, but you can also get its eggs on your shoes (YUCK) and then tread little potential cockroaches around wherever you go. "So what shall I do Louise?" I'm glad you asked. Using one of those tools mentioned earlier flip the cockroach on its back, it'll die fairly quickly and you won't have to worry about the mess.

4. General Prevention

Now that you are armed with some tips for fighting the force make sure that you also keep your life easier by keeping food in a container, by keeping clothes and shoes off the floor and not cluttering your room too much. Vacuum often and keep it clean! Wash your clothes on hot if you feel unsure about any bugs. If bugs are repeatedly showing up in your room call campus maintenance, they have the knowledge to deal with these issues.

Good luck on your mission.