The Day The Music Died

The Day The Music Died

Music today, simply does not have the same meaning that it once did. Once the passion dies, so will the music.

20
The Day The Music Died
Kaitlyn Zwick

"What is a record player?"

"Why don't you just use your phone?"

"Why was there a band named after a bug?"

These are all questions that are asked, continue to be asked and unfortunately will always be asked. It is sad that young teens do not understand the true meaning of music. The actual definition is "to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion." Granted, there are musicians who can accomplish this today, but not the same way as the great bands did years ago. However, it is rare that we hear songs today that absolutely mean something and are undoubtedly powerful. The great bands of the 60s and 70s, such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones came around, they defined the idea behind the music. They discussed social problems in the world, they did and said things nobody else would. They made music because it was what they were passionate about. That passion in artists today is rare to come by. The fame and the media seem to override it, the music starts not to matter anymore. It is sad that my generation's children may never know who Lynyrd Skynyrd is or know that Bob Dylan won a Nobel Prize Award.

His lyrics were viewed as transcending literature. How many pop stars today can say the same? The music industry will always grow, however, it will never be the same as it used to be, even before my time. I grew up listening to Britney Spears and the Spice Girls. It wasn't until I was older and able to explore music for myself, where I began to understand music as a whole. Kids do not think to do that anymore. It is all about the now, and what everyone else is listening to. The expression is gone. No one tries to find the answers in songs anymore, at least not in the same way. The most popular music today does not have that ability to uplift my mood the way older music might. The great bands were great, and they died great. Many of the bands today will die unnoticed and be forgotten. There is a reason why many people still continue to listen to Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith. A band may not be around anymore, but their music will outlive them, which essentially is every artist's goal. No matter when a song was written, the best music will always be relatable, the purpose of music is to make people appreciate something. A powerful song can have the effect to make someone think back to a wonderful moment in their life. Whether it be driving in the car or it's on in a store, if it was effective, it can make people remember a special time when they heard that song for the first time.

There is a reason why couples when getting married pick the song they dance too. It is not because it is popular or a song everyone enjoys, it is special and is almost a letter of their love to one another, and from that day on, every time they hear that song they will think about dancing on their wedding night and the joy they felt. A song might not always have a positive affect on someone. It can make someone extremely happy, or make another person, think back to a difficult time in their life. Whatever the case may be, no matter what the feeling is, it is still provoking emotion. Those lyrics have the power to take someone back in time. If a song has the ability to give someone the chills or make them laugh, smile, or cry, they have exceeded expectations and went above and beyond normal music. Being able to get past a wall that so many of us put up, by simply stating words with such meaning and passion is beautiful. Music is and always should be inspiring.