A Day In The Life Of A Commuter

A Day In The Life Of A Commuter

Will write for gas money.

99
A Day In The Life Of A Commuter
WNEP

I'll be honest: I wanted to dorm more than anything. I wanted to have the complete college experience, and I would not believe getting it was possible if you didn't live on campus, nor would I listen to anyone who tried to tell me otherwise. Then I saw the price tag. Haha, no. No way would I pay well over 15 thousand a year to live 15 minutes from home. Did I want the "college experience"? Yeah. Did I want the whole "living in poverty" experience that would inevitably follow? No. I submitted my application with residency status as "commuter" and accepted my fate.

I've been here for a month and I'm not sure if I'm having the college experience, but I'm definitely having an experience: I'm never really home. I walked in at 10 o'clock one night and my dad was like, "Who are you and what are you doing in my house?" Though it is harder to meet people, and I'll totally admit to that, commuting isn't that bad. Notice I said "harder" and not "impossible." If you want to make friends, you will. If you want to be involved, you will. You'll wonder where your paycheck is going most days (because gas is expensive and Scranton traffic is actually a nightmare), but you can still make the most of the experience. Here's the average day in the life of a commuter.

1. Getting Out Of The House On Time Is Almost Impossible

I don't even have an 8 a.m. Some things never change.

2. And Traffic Is Literally Awful

Why is 81 always under construction? Does asphalt deteriorate that quickly? I don't think so.

3. You Do Manage To Make It On Time...Usually

And you feel like such an adult. Take that life.

4. Parking Is Always An Adventure

I outright refuse to get there earlier than nine o'clock (my first class is at noon, but my sister's is at 10), so the parking garage isn't an option. I could pay at a meter, but I prefer to take the trek to the free parking spots down along Ridge Row. We'll see how long that lasts in the winter.

5. But You Need To Power Walk/Sprint To Class

Like I said, Ridge Row is no parking garage. Is getting to class not working out? It is if you take the stairs, and the Ridge Row lot has tons of them. Exercise is exercise, I don't discriminate.

6. Not Having A Dorm To Go Back To Is A Little Annoying...

Like a lot annoying.

7. Everyone Pities You And Is Envious Of You At The Same Time

It's usually "Aren't you missing out?" or "God, I wish I could see my parents right now." In my experience, it's usually the latter. Besides, my mom's cooking or the cafeteria's? The cafeteria is great, but that's a no-brainer. Speaking of:

8. Commuter Meal Plan?

Yes, I can eat in the cafeteria. No, I didn't get the commuter meal plan, and please, cashier lady, don't make me buy one.

9. Meetings Are Usually At Night

But you have more homework than you know what to do with, so you'll be busy in the meantime, trust me.

10. Driving Home...

Bonus: Snow

Winter is coming...but snow days exist because of people like us (if that's not one reason to feel fantastic, I don't know what is).