The Only Thing Tougher Than A Football Player Is His Girlfriend

The challenges are worth it when you watch the person you love do something they love.

591
YouMakeMeShutter

No matter the division, level, or conference, the girlfriends of football players all understand the same things, hopefully. There are pros and cons but in the end, it’s an honor and new lessons are learned daily.

I have had the privilege of dating a football player for the past (almost) 4 years. This is the fourth football season that we are going through “together.” We started dating his senior year of high school right after football season. Now he has the opportunity to play college football.

Football players hold something truly unique. They give their all through their time, bodies, and energy for the love of the game, their teammates, coaches, and community. Football players understand the meaning of sacrifice and selflessness more than most young people.

Be Patient, Be Flexible And Be Understanding.

I can't press these points enough. Be patient. The schedule of a football player is not of their own it’s controlled by coaches, trainers, and teachers. He will be busy all the time. Be Flexible. Going from early morning lifts to classes to practice, eating and showering is in there somewhere, then to meetings and after that trying to fit school work in. Be Understanding. Unless you're also a college athlete you're not really going to understand the difficulties, the effort, the time, and the dedication it takes to be a collegiate athlete's. I commend them all, it’s a lot of work and I am just watching from the outside.

Appreciate and cherish the little moments you get to spend together in all the craziness. There will be good days, but also some bad days. Football will alter his mood. Be the support he needs during those times. Write encouraging notes, offer to make dinner or do his laundry. He will appreciate it.

Enjoy it.

Enjoy every moment. Be his number one fan. These will be some of the best memories you have together. You will get to be a part of something way bigger than yourself. With the good, the bad, and the ugly, never stop supporting them. Through the sleepless nights they go through studying plays and watching film, the hours taken up by training and their focus on football, nothing will outshine the pride we feel getting to cheer them on.

The challenges are worth it when you watch the person you love do something they love; it's what we all should have in common being girlfriends of football players.