8 Truths to Dating 'An Opposite'

8 Truths to Dating 'An Opposite'

They say, "opposites attract." But what does that entail?

12
8 Truths to Dating 'An Opposite'

To date an opposite, there may be certain incidents you will experience or have to make adjustments for that you are not used to. It might not be ideal at first, but for the relationship to work, it may be necessary. Here are eight truths about what it's like to date an opposite:

1. There will be conflict

More than average. This is okay, you will learn to overcome this barrier. Sometimes things will get rough, and you'll wonder how you can accommodate for the issues to make things work, but you do it. Conflict may result from little disagreements to big ones. It might be "what are we going to do today?" While he wants to go fishing, you want to go see a movie. Or maybe it'll be what music you will listen to in the car, or what TV show you will watch that night. Either way, it's conflict, and it is frustrating. Sure, there is conflict in any relationship, but when you're with an opposite it's bound to be more frequent.

2. You will learn to compromise

As I have said, conflict will occur. That's where compromise fits in. To be with an opposite, you both have to compromise or the whole relationship will be one immense, continuous argument. You butt heads, but don't let that drive disputes. You give a little, you get a little; that's just how it is when you date somebody who isn't much like you. It can be so irritating when you want nothing more than to lay down after a hard day of work or school and watch your favorite TV show, but your partner says, "can't we watch something else tonight?" Sometimes you just have to hold your tongue, smile, and say "okay." Things like that are what you have to be prepared to face. Since you two don't have much in common, it will happen a lot. It's not a one-sided deal either; it is a mutual acceptance of compromise between the two of you that the relationship will call for.

3. You will have to meet in the middle

While this is part of the compromise, it is so essential in the relationship. Rather than doing what only you want to do, or doing what only they want, you find what you both want. It brings you closer to have at least a couple things in common since you contrast each other in many aspects. Sure, it's great to be able to do things that each of you like individually, but it's even greater to share something that you both enjoy. Find something in common. Both like to laugh? Focus on watching comedy TV shows and movies to satisfy the both of you. You will find some sort of common ground now matter how differing you believe the two of you may be. Sometimes it's not that easy, and you will have to dig thoroughly into each other's interest to find a mutual one. Once you find something, you need to hold onto it.

4. You will experience new things

Every day is a new day with an opposite. You both will try new things anytime you reach out into each others' interests. You may find that you like a certain hobby or genre of music that you would never have thought you would. It's awesome to get out and do something new instead of doing the same old things every day. This is one of the biggest perks to dating an opposite. As long as you are willing to branch out and stay open-minded, you will have fun in doing new things, even if it isn't something you generally enjoy. It's a special feeling to share with someone what they love. To see the happiness in them and be part of the moment is amazing. Remember that when you have days where you just feel like sitting at home instead.

5. You will find new liking's

In trying new things, you will find new likings. This is honestly another one of the best parts of the relationship; you do things you would've never seen yourself doing and you enjoy it. You get to have more options of things to go do, so you rarely get bored. This makes life more enjoyable for you because you find even more ways to have fun, all due to your opposite. Being able to share these new liking's with others (friends and family) or even doing them on your own is cool as well. It's always a good thing to find more things that you like to do. It's like trying a certain food for the first time because you had been scared to in the past (or maybe you hadn't heard of it), but once you try it, you love it! Then you're hooked.

6. You shape each other

This doesn't mean you become a totally different person than who you were before the relationship, but it does mean that you can rub off on each other. You may have differing personality traits from one another. They may be very confident, you may be shy. They will encourage you to have more faith in yourself, and can result in you bettering yourself in other situations, like public speaking or whatever else it may be. It's the little things, such as beneficial traits that you may acquire due to your opposite that may shape you as an individual. You both will become more well-rounded individuals and can gain some things that you may be lacking.

7. There's never a dull moment

When you're with an opposite, everything is fun and spontaneous. You won't get bored because you will continuously be going somewhere new, trying new things, and making unique memories. Things are always interesting with an opposite; conversations fluctuate frequently so new topics will spark at all times.

8. You're assured that you both care

You both have to give a hard effort to make the relationship work. Although all relationships require effort, not all call for it as heavily as it does with an opposite. If you date someone similar to you, the relationship may just kind of flow. When dating an opposite, you have to want it or the relationship will never succeed. This is how you're assured that you both truly care, because of the effort that you see each other putting in day by day to keep things steady. This is comforting to have such reassurance in a relationship, and you can bet it isn't faked because it's doubtful anyone would put extra effort into something that they don't even want.