Dark to light

Dark surrounds

It’s everywhere

Sit or walk?

Sitting gets me nowhere

But my legs feel as if they are made of lead.

Walk.

What is what I will do.

I can not see anything,

But I keep moving forward,

Or maybe diagonal….

Sudenly,

Light.

It has found me, or has my strength found it?

Even then the darkness never truly fades.

You may feel like there is no escape from your ‘Darkness’ whether it is the death of a loved one, anxiety, the loss of a limb, or anything that has you ‘down in the rut’, big or small. Your mind and legs may feel as if they are lead, but if you keep moving, you will find light. That darkness will always be with you, but even the dimmest of lights, shine bright in the dark.

Whether that light is a joke once a day, therapy, a friend to keep you company, or even just a piece of candy, you can find it. Sometimes, you may have the light, but the darkness grows and grows to the point where you feel like you might never come back, remember, you brightened the room once and you can do it again.

This darkness represents a decline in one’s mental health after a tragic incident or just the decline for any reason. I noticed over the years that people are scared to tell people when they are in that darkness, afraid that they will be shunned, or even invalidated.

If you the reader, are afraid, see a therapist, and if you still are not sure, visit Mental Health America’s site. They have screenings, recommended helplines, DBT worksheets, programs, and more.

They also have ways you can help, an email list, and more.

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/