How Dangerous Can Technology Really Be?
Technology

Technological Advancements Are Forcing Us Into Our Own Real-Life Episode Of 'Black Mirror'

"Black Mirror" has the potential to become more and more realistic in the future instead of being a fictional show that deals with technology and its downsides and malfunctions.

127
Person typing on their keyboard

Technology is used overwhelmingly in everyday life. While it significantly improves and eases everyday activities, making it a necessity, with inventions such as the Amazon Echo and new Facebook Portal, perhaps too much of a good thing can actually be a bad thing.

It took me until my own computer had a malfunction that I found myself questioning society's reliance on technology. The time and date on my laptop had moved backward without reason and multiple windows were flashing on my screen. Not only did I feel as if was experiencing Y2K 19 years too late, but I also feared using my computer for the rest of the night out of fear for what might happen next. Was this just a normal glitchy malfunction or could it have been something bigger?

Since then, my fear of technology has grown. The webcam on my computer is now covered, Siri is now turned off on my phone and I don't let apps use my current location. While this may seem extreme, there have been reports of hackers using webcams to spy on other people and it is a fact that Siri listens to everything you say. How else do you think ads that appear on your social media feeds are so relevant to you?

The problem is, devices that are constantly listening to you are only growing. Some of them even track your every move, literally, like the new Facebook Portal. This device uses video calling to move around the room with you, allowing you to multitask while speaking with loved ones. This is the perfect example of unnecessarily complicating one of the simplest actions: calling someone. Commercials make it seem as if the focus on the actual conversation is now taken away. More importantly, I wouldn't be surprised if this also listens and watches everything you say/do.

The thing is, I think my new fear of technology is quite rational. The TV show "Black Mirror" has the potential to become more and more realistic in the future instead of being a fictional show that deals with technology and its downsides and malfunctions.