There Is A Danger Behind Sex Change Surgery

12
Wkipedia

First off, I do not support the LGBT community. My beliefs hinder me to be supportive of the community. But we are in a wonderful nation that has freedom and does not force religion or any other views down people's throats. I honestly am not to bothered anymore if same-sex marriage occurs because legalities of government do not define marriage for me. If someone wants to be lesbian, gay, or bisexual, it is their choice and I cannot change that. My beliefs also do not hinder me to be associated with individuals of these communities.

There is something different about "transgender" compared to "lesbian", "gay", or "bisexual". The common perception in today's culture is that somebody was just born in the wrong body. That it is completely okay to feel that way. That, because the individual associates with the opposite gender, they must be meant to be the opposite gender. That gender is a "cultural construct". But research proves it goes much deeper than that.

Paul McHugh, of John Hopkins University, released an article titled, "Transgender Surgery Isn't the Solution" In the article, McHugh outright labels being trans-gendered as a mental disorder. That this mental disorder was called "Gender-Identity Disorder", but it was later changed to "Gender Dysphoria" because it was deemed offensive. McHugh also discusses studies that support his claim that sex-change surgery is not the solution.

McHugh launched a study around the 1970's that was looking to compare the outcomes of individuals who went through the process of sex-change surgery and those who did not, and the psycho-social adjustments that were involved after the surgery. The study revealed that most of the patients that went through with the surgery were "satisfied". But when the comparison was made between the two groups there were no subsequent adjustments of their psycho-social state. That patients who went through with the surgery were still troubled. After discovering this, John Hopkins ceased sex-reassignment surgery,"...since producing a "satisfied" but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs. " McHugh mentions a 30-year study performed by the Karolinska Institue in Sweden that produced an alarming find about the transgender community. This evidence should make someone rethink their support for individuals to perform the surgery. "The long-term study—up to 30 years—followed 324 people who had sex-reassignment surgery. The study revealed that beginning about 10 years after having the surgery, the trans-gendered began to experience increasing mental difficulties. Most shockingly, their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the comparable non-transgender population" The transgender community has the highest suicide rate of any people group. That is scary and quite frankly not normal.

Discussing what I have brought forth as evidence is a big enough reason why I can not support the transgender community. It reveals that the end result, the sex change, does not satisfy the individual's desire. It does not improve their reality or completely turn their life around. The evidence speaks loudly against supporting sex change.

Now to come to a close there are a few more points of discussion left. This article is not meant to demonize the trans community, nor is it meant to try and silence the rights of those struggling with this issue. It is to bring awareness to the reality that is behind the "I was born this way" mentality. If someone you know is struggling with this, be an advocate and help influence them to get the psychiatric help that they need. We need to realize the cost that is behind sex change surgery and the real possibility of someone you know taking their own life because they do not feel right in their own skin no matter the gender they are.