Dale Carnegie's 9 Ways To Enhance Relationships

It's all about becoming a genuinely friendlier person.

839
LEWIS

One of the most important things for most people is their relationships with others. However, more than having several imporant people in your life, it is better to enhance those relationships to a higher level. Dale Carnegie, author and motivational speaker, shared nine ways he believes, we can enhance our relationships.

1. Don’t criticize, condemn or complain.

Don’t criticize others; you’ll only hurt that person and your own reputation. Do not condemn others; if you dislike others disapproving of you, do not disapprove of others. Do not complain; first fix your own problems before complaining about others’.

2. Give honest, sincere appreciation.

Be thankful. If someone takes their time and effort to do something for your own benefit, it is disrespectful to ignore their act of gratitude. This creates a flaw in what other people think of you. Show thanks and others will do even more for you.

3. Peak the interest of others.

Everyone wants something in return for the effort they put into other people's work. If you don’t sell your idea or ask for help without including how it will benefit the other, chances are they won’t care about your case. However, if you talk to them in a way to show how much they’ll be helping themselves, by helping you, you can gain better and stronger relations with others.

4. Become genuinely interested in other people.

In any relationship, it is important to get to know the person, whether it's your employee, boss or workers, this is absolutely crucial. Take interest in their ideas and listen to what they have to say. This builds your own reputation and strengthens your ties with the people you work with and the people that surround you.

5. Smile.

No one wants to talk to someone who doesn't seem to like them. If you show no expression while talking or you seem angry while talking to someone, they will suppose you don’t take interest in what they’re saying. They will most likely be reluctant to talk to you in the future. To protect yourself from creating this type of mark on your reputation, smile a little more. Be aware of what your face is telling other people

6. A person's name is important, remember it.

People truly appreciate it when you actually remember their name. It makes them feel important and they immediately deem you important, too. Another essential thing to do is to properly tell your name to others. Don’t rush when saying your name or no one will remember it. You may be fond about your name but people you’ve just met aren’t.

7. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.

People like to talk about themselves. Although you may want to talk to others about your company or ideas, it is important to remember that others like to feel important as well. If a conversation feels too focused on you, direct a question to the person you are speaking to. And don’t forget to show genuine interest!

8. Talk in terms of the other person’s interests.

People may have different interests than you do, but that does that mean you completely ignore that topic because you aren’t interested in it. Everyone loves to talk about something that they know about or like to talk about so always keep others’ passions in mind.

9. Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely.

Make sure you are genuinely engaged into anything you talk about with anyone. By doing every one of the above listed, you are making the other feel important and building your reputation to others. Ask questions about someone’s issue so they can feel that you care about what they are talking about. And be completely genuine while doing that too. You won't be able to give off an interested vibe without actually engaging in what the other is talking about.