From Someone Who Works In Customer Service During Quarantine, Say Thank You To A Retail Worker Today

Still don't understand the toilet paper shortage.

76

I know I may be biased towards working retail and being in customer service, but in a time like this understanding is what is going to help our nation succeed and not completely downfall. As we all know, with the risk of this virus we are all trying to social distance ourselves and stay away from others as we may contract the continually growing virus. With the mass hysteria of the media and the panicking of citizens, the grocery stores and pharmacies are taking a huge hit in being flooding with people. As I work at Trader Joes, it almost seems that people have forgotten about social distancing since they are crazed by the fact they need all the riced cauliflower to last them to 2021. You may think I'm being dramatic but it's actually unreal the things I have experienced within this past couple weeks.

One morning when I came into work before we opened, I was trying to calm my other co-workers down as they were filled with stress and anxiety for the day to come ahead. As soon as we opened, I have never seen a bigger mass of people storm into our store and almost immediately I felt a sense of tension and panic. By the end of the day, I felt completely worn out by hearing so many comments about so much nonsense. Don't tell me as you are covered in a mask and gloves, that all our farmers are going to get sick and America will run out of food soon, please keep those comments to yourself.

I write this because I want to make aware that as you are doing your bulk shopping or your regular grocery shopping to be aware of those you run into, other shoppers or retail workers. These people are already stressed out to begin while we also listen to the news, we try to work to get the canned goods out in enough time for you to pick up and we all are involved in a crowded place when you shop. This is not an easy time, the fact that we are in the unknown freaks people out. So I am asking you, as another citizen and retail worker, to be helpful, appreciative and kind to all those you encounter in the public during this time. Keep your comments to yourself and please, please stay in as much as you can.

Be safe.