Culture And Economic Outcomes

Culture And Economic Outcomes

Why cultural is key in economic outcomes.

38
Culture And Economic Outcomes
Teen Economist

In our quest to find reason for disparity and reasons for economic outcomes, cultural is another great way to see why these things happen. Human’s cultures differ greatly among nations and that can been seen throughout the world. This can mostly be seen in when cultures move outside of their home lands. Groups like the Chinese and Jews have shown great cultural traits in forgiven countries. Especially the Chinese who have become one of the wealthiest racial groups in the world . In places like Malaysia, most of the millionaires are ethnic Chinese, not the majority Malaysians.

In America, we see the same thing. Chinese dominate well paying fields in engineering and the sciences. This is a culture of handwork , many of these Chinese immigrants came to these various countries with nothing, or their parents and grandparents came here with absolutely nothing. But within two or three generations they have risen fast up the ladder.

As Thomas Sowell speaks of the top high schools in New York City like Stuyvesant’s and Brooklyn Tech’s halls are filled with young ethnic Chinese and Jewish. Jewish have for many years been in the top of many field, such as the stereotypical lawyer positions, but others such as medical, financial,entertainment corporations, and the sciences. Ethnic Jews have made up 20% of all Nobel prize winners and have made up an astounding 41% of all Nobel prize in economics recipients. This is no coincidence for years Jewish culture and values has fostered an affinity for learning. This was unlocked when bans in Europe were lifted on Jews being allowed in to universities. Waves of them entered the universities and so began them climbing to the top of many fields new and old.

There is also a great flip side to cultures with the good must come the bad. In many places we can see a culture of dependency. This is to contrast too what I would call a culture of individuality and handwork. This is not created by the people that are dependent, but as we will talk about next week political factors play a major role in creating these cultures of dependency. It is not particular too one group of people as all cultures and peoples can be effected by this complacency. As seen in Theodore Dalrymple book Life At The Bottom, he tells the story of his many patients . Many of whom are at the bottom rungs of British society and many are white. These people struggle against the many african immigrants that are newly arrived and the children that out score theirs academically and proceed to remove themselves from such poverty.

The problem is for many of these people that they are stuck within a culture of complacency as well as one of dependency. Not only do the need help but their is no drive to move themselves forward and this can be felt generationally. Like in America, in the poor neighborhoods of Chicago, Los Angles , and even my own town of Brockton their is complacency that leads to dependence. This is not racially bond though the cultures we spoke of in the former of this article are or the most part monolithic. It can permeate throughout societies as seen in Britain and here at home. Though it may not be the full answer but to foster a culture of handwork and determination can go miles in changing the status of ones self. The goal for this progress must be to see a brighter future for our children and many like the Chinese whether they know it or not follow this mantra in some way in working hard to move themselves and their children forward in life. Next week we will look into the political factors and that will wrap up my series on the factors for disparity and economic outcomes.