Cruelty-Free Beauty Brands You Need To Know

Start buying products that are good for you and good for the earth.

85
Tumblr

Whoever said that there aren’t many cruelty-free and vegan beauty product brands clearly didn’t do their research. This is a short list of brands that do not test their products on animals and many of them use vegan, natural ingredients. From high-end to drugstore brands, this list encompasses makeup, skincare and body products to fit every budget and lifestyle. Animal testing is an ugly side of the beauty industry and it is every consumer’s responsibility to be aware of how the products they buy are being created. It’s about time we all start doing our part to support brands that are creating quality products while protecting the environment and all of the living creatures that inhabit it.

1. Burt’s Bees

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F07%2F18%2F636044522227882165-1481011615_burtsbees_logo.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=30&h=9e3e37812295d1ed8f988a2c8a4cf37564565b76b64f2a4d6180d6cb0b222be8&size=980x&c=534558848 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F07%252F18%252F636044522227882165-1481011615_burtsbees_logo.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D30%26h%3D9e3e37812295d1ed8f988a2c8a4cf37564565b76b64f2a4d6180d6cb0b222be8%26size%3D980x%26c%3D534558848%22%7D" expand=1]

This company self-describes its products as “earth friendly natural care for the greater good”. Burt’s Bees believes that the right mix of natural ingredients from the Earth can help nourish skin, just like the right mix of foods from the Earth can properly nourish the body. This company has received a certification from the Natural Product Association for its use of wholesome ingredients that provide the body with healthy nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Burt’s Bees products range from lip balms and lip glosses to facial cleansers and body moisturizers. In addition to their all-natural formulations, the company’s packaging is designed conscientiously: by using post-consumer recycled content.

2. Tom's of Maine

It is not only important that natural ingredients are being used on the outside of your body, but on the inside of your body too. In 1970, Tom and Kate Chappell were frustrated by the slim selection of natural personal care options and decided to start creating and selling their own. Thus, Tom’s of Maine was born, providing “naturally clean” oral care -- toothpastes, mouth washes and flosses – along with deodorants and even diaper creams. The company doesn’t add artificial colors and no synthetic flavors or fragrances are used in the products as the company favors a fresh, natural taste and the smell of pure herbs, fruits, and flowers. Natural preservatives are used in lieu of artificial preservatives such as EDTA, Formaldehyde, parabens, etc. Tom’s of Maine supports a non-animal-testing model, which includes the belief that they don’t need to use animal ingredients but rather, they substitute with the use of vegetable-based ingredients.

3. e.l.f.

e.l.f. is one of the best places to find quality makeup products for very reasonable prices. The company believes that every woman should have access to a wide variety of high-quality beauty products without having to sacrifice her budget. The cosmetic company is cruelty free and 50 percent of the proceeds from the sales of their “fur-Free Tweezers goes to support PETA. All of the brushes in their essential line are made from cut natural horse hair and genuine wood handles. The brushes in the studio line are vegan friendly and made of anti-bacterial, synthetic Taklon hair. The ingredients in all e.l.f. products are indicated on the packaging as well as on the e.l.f. website. All ingredients used in e.l.f. cosmetics are vegan friendly, safe and meet F.D.A requirements.

4. Urban Decay

Urban Decay prides itself on being a company that has always for the empowerment of women. For over 15 years, Urban Decay has sought to bring women alternative beauty products with an edge that defy stereotypical notions of beauty. From their popular collection of velvety Eyeshadows to their award-winning eye liners, budge-proof mascaras and legendary Makeup Setting Sprays, Urban Decay has already made a name for itself amongst luxury makeup brands. But what’s even more special about this company is its commitment to providing cruelty-free and vegan products to consumers. Urban Decay requires its suppliers to certify that the raw materials used in the manufacture of their products has not been tested on animals. The Brand is certified by both PETA and The Leaping Bunny Program (CCIC) as cruelty-free. Urban Decay certifies that all products marked vegan do not contain any animal-derived ingredients. The company frequently seeks out ways to convert non-vegan products by substituting animal-derived ingredients with plant-derived or synthetic alternatives.

5.güd

güd was started by a team at Burt's Bees who wanted to create a line of body care products that was fun, fresh and scent-focused. Güd products contain no petrochemicals, parabens or phthalates and they are never tested on animals. With unique scents like Mango Moonbreeze, a blend of island mango and jasmine, and Pearanormal Activity, a combo of pear and acai berry, güd shampoos, conditioners and body products add a punch of fruity fragrance to your day.

6. The Body Shop

The Body Shop’s manifesto perfectly sums up the company’s whole philosophy, “Enrich Not Exploit. It’s in our hands.” The Body Shop was founded in 1976 by Dame Anita Roddick in Brighton, England. Roddick believed that business could be a force for good and thus, The Body Shop prides itself on doing things differently and creating innovative, natural products. The beauty brand seeks to make people feel good – face, body and soul. Today, The Body Shop’s “Enrich Not Exploit Commitment” is stronger than ever. The company seeks to enrich the lives of people as well as the environment by working fairly with farmers and suppliers and helping communities thrive through fair trade programs. All of the The Body Shop products are cruelty free and no ingredient nor products has ever been tested on an animal. With an extensive range of skincare, hair care and bath products as well as makeup and fragrance lines, The Body Shop is truly your one stop shop for all things beauty related.