Everyday Brands That Test On Animals, And Their Cruelty-Free Alternatives

Shop cruelty-free and stop animal suffering.

7795

Each year, more than 100 million animals are abused through animal testing in labs in the United States. That’s 100 million defenseless mice, rats, fish, dogs, cats, rabbits, birds and non-human primates (to name a few) that are burned, poisoned, crippled and experimented on every single year.

Most people, like myself, would hear this statistic and think “Well I’ll stop supporting the brands that test on animals.” However, I recently learned most of the products I use daily aren’t on the all-too-short list of “cruelty-free” products. From my high-end makeup to my shampoo and cleaning products I use weekly, if not daily, the list of items I would have to stop purchasing not to support these abusive brands is overwhelming. But as an animal lover and owner, I can’t stand the possibility that a tiny creature would have to be subjected to torture or death just so I could wear my perfect shade of high-end foundation. So after some very haunting research, I've made it a point to purchase only cruelty-free products.*

*In my research, I've discovered cruelty-free doesn't always mean what we hope, that animals are not tested on at all. Sometimes, it means the finished product isn't tested on animals, while individual ingredients are. It can also mean that a company does not test on animals unless required by law. This is where things get tricky. Like in the instance of Clinique, where their policy states they don't test on animals unless required by law, yet they sell in mainland China, which requires all foreign products to be tested on animals (products in this article that sell in mainland China or other countries that require animal testing will be marked **). I urge you to do your own research and take everything you don't research on your own with a grain of salt.

Cosmetics

Drugstore makeup like CoverGirl**, Revlon** and Almay (owned by Revlon) are some of my favorite budget-friendly brands, yet they allow their products to be tested on animals. CoverGirl is one I am having an especially hard time understanding, since celebrities like Katy Perry and Ellen Degeneres, who actively speak for animal rights, are spokeswomen for this brand. Instead of buying from these makeup lines, purchase drugstore brands like E.L.F., Wet n Wild and Hard Candy, who stand by their cruelty-free policy and still allow you to shop on a budget.

I was even more shocked to learn that half of my high-end makeup supported the practice of testing on animals. You would think the more expensive brands would care about the standard of their products. Brands like Clinique**, Avon, MAC and Benefit** test on animals, while brands such as Tarte, Kat Von D and Urban Decay do not.

Skin Care

Clearasil (owned by Reckitt Benckiser), Simple and St. Ives (both owned by Unilever) are among a long list of drugstore skin care products I use frequently, that test on animals. Seeing those names on the list was hard since I've mastered my skin care routine over the years and really don't want to give up the products I'm loyal to. But that's the only way these companies will change their practices when loyal customers decide that they can't purchase products that harm animals. Yes To Carrots and Alba Botanica are on the very short list of drugstore skin care products that are cruelty-free.

Hair Care

I use Aussie**(owned by Proctor & Gamble) every day of my life, so I was beyond disappointed to find this product going on my "Do Not Buy" list. Other hair care brands and products on that list include Got2B, Head and Shoulders**, Suave (owned by Unilever), John Frieda and Herbal Essence. It's A 10, Paul Mitchell, Lush and Yes to Carrots are all cruelty-free products that will be making their way onto my shopping list.

Personal Hygiene

Popular toothpaste brands like Aquafresh, Scope, Crest and Colgate test on animals. This one might require online shopping in order to find cruelty-free or vegan products if your local stores don't carry brands such as Kiss My Face, Tom's of Maine or Nature's Gate. But Amazon is a pretty great source for these products, especially since they offer a "Cruelty-Free" search filter.

Deodorant was a topic I never thought I would have to look into for animal testing, but you can find these cruel practices in almost any company. Axe, Old Spice, Secret, Teen Spirit, Lady Speed Stick and Speed Stick are not cruelty-free. Kiss My Face, Lush and Nature's Gate are cruelty-free alternatives that you might have to go online to find. Honestly, though, what's a little online shopping to helping stop the abuse, torture, and murder of animals?

The brands I've listed, both cruelty-free and not, are all small parts of a much larger list. Household cleaners and even pet food brands are some that are not on this list, but still, have companies that practice animal testing. If you make the decision to shop cruelty-free, do your own research. Sites like Cruelty-Free Kitty and phone apps like Bunny Free are great tools to start your research.

Specifically, in the case of cosmetics, animal testing is not only not required by law, but also a cruel and outdated practice. By shopping cruelty-free and writing to companies that pointlessly torture defenseless animals, we can work together towards ending these senseless acts of abuse and become the protectors these animals need.