Cruelty-Free Beauty Brands That You Absolutely Need

Companies that test on animals are ugly, so why go to them to feel pretty?

76
occupy

The beauty world can be overwhelming. One day you run out of mascara, so you walk into Sephora and are immediately bombarded with 50 different brands, 1,000 different products that all do very specific things, and five sales persons trying to make sure you don't leave without first spending all of your rent money. So, you swiftly bypass the saleswoman trying to convince you that you need to be contouring the back of your neck, and head to the most interesting looking display...only to find that it's the most high-end company in the whole store.

To narrow down the difficult search for solid products that you'll actually use every day (forget the "tightening" cream), here is a list of the five brands that you must make a staple in your makeup bag. You know that classic saying, "beauty lies within the morals of the manufacturer?" Err..something like that, at least...Well, no bunnies or puppies or mice or any other animal had to be injured to make these products and that is pretty rad! These brands can make you look good and feel twice as good, knowing you are supporting a cruelty-free company.

1. Kat von D Beauty

Kat von D is one of the most badass vegans ever. Not only is her cosmetic line cruelty free, it is also so unique. Kat's style is a mix of gothic, retro, otherworldly, and girly, and her makeup line reflects just that.

Recommend: Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in "Lolita" $20

2. WEN by Chaz Dean

Normal shampoo strips your hair of its natural oils--that's why you need to use shampoo and conditioner. So creator Chaz Dean was like "Who has the time?" and I was like "I sure don't!" so he created the miracle serum that is WEN. The ingredients are all plant derived so the product is super gentle and not full of chemicals like a normal shampoo typically is. Your hair will be left looking and feeling like you never thought possible. The best part is that they make a scent for every season!

Recommended: Lavender Cleansing Conditioner $32

3. e.l.f. Cosmetics

e.l.f. is incredible, period. The products range from eyeshadows to lipsticks to face wash and is so affordable you'll think there's a catch...there's not. It is arguably the best drugstore makeup on the market. Their palettes give Urban Decay a run for their money at only a small fraction of the cost.

Recommended: Mad for Matte Eyeshadow Palette $10

4. Not Your Mother's

Not Your Mother's is another brand that turns heads just with their prices alone. This brand makes a different product for every style you want to do your hair, and a life-saving dry shampoo for the days when you don't want to style your hair at all! The texturizing spray and the hairsprays leave your hair soft and bouncy rather than stiff and crunchy like most other sprays do. You'll be clearing the shelves bare of these products when you get a taste of them, trust me.

Recommended: Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray $4.74

5. IT Cosmetics

IT Cosmetics is a rather unknown brand compared to the big ones like MAC--who is evil and refuses to not test on animals. IT Cosmetics is completely on par with the "it" brands, though (see what I did there?). The prices are reasonable for such a high-quality product. The eyeshadows spread like butter and the blush comes in some really unique shades, but the brow pencil is where it's at. Their "Brow Power" pencil will give you the fierce, yet natural, eyebrows you've always dreamed of.

Recommended: Brow Power Universal Eyebrow Pencil $24

For a more extensive list of cruelty-free beauty products, check out crueltyfreekitty.com