This Is What Happens When Priests Cross The Line Between Church And State

"The second is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.​" (Mark 12:31)

109
Cross Walk

I'm a regular church-goer. It became a necessity to attend church when I was getting confirmed a few years ago but after that, it became a habit. I believe in God, I enjoy reading the bible, and it makes me feel comfortable attending church and listening to the father preach.

It wasn't until my last church visit that had me feeling very confused and lost. I thought that priests were supposed to be neutral when it came to politics. I thought that "everyone was created in the likeness of God". I thought that every one was His child and deserved respect. I thought wrong.

The priest began his preach in a very subtle way. He was saying how everybody that comes to church regularly, are the reasons why the church is successful. I was so proud to be a church-goes there until he started preaching about politics. The priest stated (I'm not directly quoting him) that the world is failing because of "liberals" and how crazy they are. He was basically telling us to vote republican. He also said that "We finally have a pro-life president". That was what confused me the most. The most outrageous thing he stated that day was when he disrespected homosexuals, basically shunning them.

I realize that the typical or old school christian/catholic will not agree to homosexuality (and everyone has their own opinion) but to say that in a powerful way to all those attending mass should not be acceptable. I saw a few head nods but what was impactful was that someone actually got up and left. I was considering leaving as well. When you're in a position of power and someone looks up to you/ trusts you, you should NEVER give them a reason to think twice.

This man knew what he was saying and knew how he meant it. At the end of his preach, he even said "looks like I just outed myself didn't I".

I respect the devotion that priests have towards God. I respect all they sacrifice in their lives but they should have neutral thoughts. It is extremely hypocritical to say that "God loves us all" when he is also shaming people who love those of the same sex. It is extremely hypocritical to say that we have a PRO-LIFE president and giving that man praise after all the negativity and scandal he has committed. Trump and his administration do not really care about protecting children. His administration is doing and acting upon what benefits THEM and their wallets. There's a strange pleasure that they have in controlling whatever they want (women's bodies, immigration, etc) because they can and for discrimination purposes. I understand that "no one is perfect" and many are willing to jump and defend the 45th but if you are willing to pardon and look past all the sin of that man, then DON'T come at other people for how they choose to live their lives.

He didn't mention anything else except his opinions on those two topics. If he feels that way about them then I can't imagine how he must feel about other controversial topics. Again, EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion but he is not just ANYONE. People must feel safe coming to church. People must feel respected when coming to church. Priests must be there for every church-goer, not just the ones they agree with.

"The second is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:31)