Crop Tops And A Judgemental Society

Crop Tops And A Judgemental Society

Society should stop telling women how to dress.
84

Girls are being judged based on what they wear and not by the personality they portray. Women are getting the message that showing off their body is either wrong or the only way they will become successful in this messed up world. What both women and all of society need to realize is that this is far from the truth.

I agree that women are overly sexualized in the media, and in many instances, girls are transforming their looks to match their celebrity role model. We tend to base this sexualization on the clothing stars are wearing rather than the actions they're performing.

Movies such as "Spring Breakers" glamorize the use of alcohol and drugs, committing crimes, and most importantly, sex. What I have noticed is that the sexualization of the girls in the film does not come from the clothing they have on, but rather that they are performing sexual acts with guns and in a pool.

We often blame the media for the decisions our youth are making. Honestly, I think that it's bogus. Growing up, I watched movies and television shows in which the girls in sex scenes and girls getting dressed in certain attire, and society would call them "slutty."

None of these movies, however, influenced the way I thought of myself and how I should act or dress. At an appropriate age, I chose to wear tight dresses and crop tops. Those were my decisions, though, and I never based them off something I saw on TV.

What I am getting to is that society needs to let women dress how they please without putting blame on the media and making assumptions about who the woman really is. I don't believe that being a "slut" or a "whore" is really a thing. Women should be able to make their own choices without being shamed for it, especially when it comes to what they choose to wear.

We, as a society, have a narrow mindset. We base first impressions off of what a person is dressed in. I am guilty of this myself, but what coming to college and meeting new people has taught me is that the girl wearing short shorts and a crop top that resembles a bra loves working with kids and is wicked funny. She is also confident in herself and in her body, and sees no problem showing it off. I admire that, and felt compelled to write about this critical topic.

Moral of the story, let a girl live... and dress in what makes her feel confident.