Where Is The Creativity In Hollywood These Days?

I have noticed lately that the originality of stories has all but disappeared. As viewers, we're getting the same old stories just written over with some elements added and others omitted. Have we lost all creativity? Is there nothing original left for the Hollywood movie moguls to come with to entertain the world?

But, as viewers, we have problems. The majority of people would rather watch superhero movies than to sit and watch something new and exciting if an original Indie film does manage to make it into the theater it doesn't get seen by lots of people. And then we complain about seeing the same boring stuff over and over again, yet when it presents itself, we opt for the popcorn-munching thriller.

So, are the viewers the reason for all the repeats? Are we causing for the lack of variety in the film industry?

It's gotten to the point where we can't go ten years with one film; I'll use Spiderman for an example. We get the first Spiderman movies as a trilogy, and not even ten years later they are being remade. It's not a continuation of the story but a remake from the beginning, new actors/actresses and a different storyline.

I'm not bashing Spiderman, just simply using it as an example. You know what's really burning my biscuits lately, the Disney remakes! They were all beloved cartoons that I grew up with as a kid, and now we are getting them live-action. WHY?!

What is wrong with cartoons? I actually prefer them. My point is, Hollywood doesn't seem to support the original creative screenwriting. We get books turned into movies and remakes of old films that have been around for years. Creativity is dead, which is sad.

What hope does this give to the new writers out there that have hopes and dreams of their material being put into a movie and the big screen one day?

Is writing screenplays becoming a lost art? Is Hollywood done with fresh and new ideas? Where does that leave us for the movie watchers? I use a lot of film viewing as inspiration for writing my own stories, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

I hope that my assumptions are wrong and we start seeing more new ideas for the film industry, but I won't hold my breath.