Inspire Me

Inspire Me

As a writer, I've lacked the wonders of inspiration and I need your help.

24
Inspire Me
Getty Images

First and foremost, I love being a writer. I love expressing my emotions through the English language and sharing it with hundreds of people across the internet. Being given this position as a creator with The Odyssey has given me the opportunity to spread my thoughts even further with this platform. However, I’ve experienced the most horrible thing any writer can; writer’s block.

Any writer knows that writer’s block isn’t just lacking the ability to piece together a sentence that sounds pleasant. It’s the feeling of failing to be inspired. It’s seeing old smiles and beautiful scenes and only appreciating its beauty. It’s hearing tear-jerking love songs and only nodding your head along to the beat. It’s being stuck in this pit of non-inspiration.

The worst part is that I know there is so much to write about. Today, there is more than hundreds of topics and issues that I have so much to say about. Rape culture, social injustice, gender imbalance, discrimination. I miss my hometown, my old relationships, my family. I feel lost, optimistic, terrified. Yet with all of these thoughts swarming around in my head, I’m a flat line.

One of things I’m most proud about myself, is my ability to write. I can coherently and beautifully construct pieces that not only inspire myself, but others. I can reach out to people and open their minds up to different perspectives. I make people ask themselves the difficult questions. That’s why I take my writer’s block so seriously. I’m not doing anything with this ability when I’m forcing out articles that don’t even inspire myself.

So, I apologize. I’m sorry that I’ve been in a slump that hasn’t allowed me to be inspired by the beauty or ugly around me. But this isn’t permanent; inspiration comes in sparks. Sometimes it’s hot and strong, other times it comes out dim. There’ll be another spark soon and I know it’ll be glorious. Until then, I need the world to work hard to create the most wonderful things to ever exist. I need young minds to think outside of the box. I need the minorities around the world to speak up and cause a ruckus. I need two people to fall in love unexpectedly and show everyone how wonderful it is. I need a broken person to persevere through the hurt and pain to help another broken person out there. I need someone to find their purpose in life and raise hell until they fufill it. I need inspiration and I need it from you.

I am first and foremost a writer. I love my job in this world, but I can’t do it without a little inspiration. So go out and inspire me.