I Asked My Instagram Followers If They'd Get The COVID-19 Vaccine, And No One Seems To Be In A Rush

Our chances of herd immunity by the end of 2021 could be diminished by the young adult population.

43
woman in purple denim jacket with white mask
Photo by Luke Jones on Unsplash

With the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines already available to healthcare workers and the elderly in the United States, it is crucial that we achieve at least 75%-80% of the population vaccinated in order to put this COVID-19 pandemic to an end. Despite the slow vaccine roll-out, we still need as many people vaccinated as possible. With that said, I'm sure that healthcare workers and the elderly are more willing to receive the vaccine more than those who are further down the vaccination list, like young adults.

Without the help of young adults being vaccinated when it's available to them, we will not be able to achieve the ideal 75%-80%.

I already had an idea that it would be about 50%/50% for the young adults' decision on getting vaccinated, but I wanted to know what the actual numbers would look like. So, I did a poll on Instagram for my followers to participate in.

Only 67% of the 33 people who participated said that they will get the vaccine when it's available to them.

Yes, this percentage was higher than I predicted, but it's still not high enough. We would need a 75%-80% vaccination rate in all of the different "vaccination phases" to beat this pandemic. Young adults are less likely to follow the CDC guidelines by either not wearing a mask and/or going to parties. If the vaccination rate in young adults doesn't go up to where it needs to be, we will still be seeing COVID-19 cases a lot longer than what we all want.