I'm The Girl Who Is Best Friends With Her Cousin

There is nothing better than having a cousin who is as close to you as any best friend or even like a sister.

42

During my senior year of high school, I moved to the Midwest to live in Michigan with my aunt and uncle. I've always had this conundrum of living so far from my family that I felt there was a disconnect in how close I was with my cousins and in how close they were with one another. With the drive being so long, I was lucky to see my family even once a year, and phone calls tended to just be on Christmas and a handful of birthdays.

Moving in with my family in Michigan changed my life for the better. I was able to find my faith again while I lived out there and I made friendships that shaped who I was. Most importantly, I became closer with my cousins than ever before. We're all around the same age, so moving there meant not only getting close to them, but sharing our friends and interests closely as well.

This article is dedicated to the cousin who is like a sister to me. One who I am planning matching tattoos with on Pinterest. The cousin I know I can call when I need a pick-me-up or a laugh.

When your cousin is like a sibling and a best friend rolled into one, you share pretty much everything. It's hard when you're both busy and miles apart, but you always make sure to catch up with one another when you finally have the chance to chat. You want to tell each other the most exciting news, and you know you can count on them just the same during the bad things. Their advice is some of the most valuable to you.

When your cousin is like a sibling and best friend, being around each other is one of the greatest things. You end up baking the best creations and cooking delicious dinners. When you can't decide on a movie or show, you'll marathon as many as possible. If anyone else tries to oppose, you always have each other's back on it all. No matter how long you've been apart, coming back together feels so natural. There's always inside jokes to crack and alcohol to share.

When your cousin is like a sibling and best friend, figuring out who to hang out with is easy. When you're both super busy or just reunited, you never really have to pick between time together and time with friends. Being close means a lot of your friends happen to be shared, so it's easy to put together a group to hang out with.

When your cousin is like a sibling and best friend, you can always count on good selfie angles.

When your cousin is like a sibling and best friend, there is always someone who understands the family drama.

When your cousin is like a sibling and best friend, life is all the sweeter.

To my cousister (a term we have coined), I'm glad to have you in my life. I've said it so many times, but you bring light into my life when I need it most. Anyone who knows you is so much better for it.

I love you.