If You Could Do Anything, What Would You Do?

More importantly... What's stopping you?

4664

If you could do anything, knowing you couldn't fail, what would you do?

This is something I used to ask others, mostly when interviewing them. Would they be a pilot? Would they save people's lives? Would they climb mountains? Would they own their own business? Would they run a marathon? Would they go to school forever? Would they create art, invent cures for disease, or simply make the ones they love happy, every day, for the rest of their lives?

This question is so limitless, but you get to see the person's passion. It always turns out that when you add the fact that they could not fail, they usually first think small but then realize the weight of the question and go bigger. They have a moment of thought like I'd love to pass my college classes, but then take it to, I want to run a multi-million dollar company, because they realize you're telling them they couldn't fail.

I loved hearing their answers because in that moment, you get to see just how big people's dreams are. You get to see their wheels turn and see their heart and mind explode with happiness because they can tell you exactly what they're passionate about. You see how realistic some people are with their dreams and how creative others are, but regardless, you see them wear their heart on their sleeves for just that moment.

So, I ask you, what would your answer be? What makes your heart grow? What makes your mind and emotions explode, and if you couldn't fail, what would you choose to do with your life?

Then take your answer and go one step further: Are you working towards that goal? If you are, what do you have to do next to make it come true? If you aren't, what's holding you back? Why aren't you?

Because if you're not working towards your dream - who is? If you're not going to believe in your dream, or even yourself, why should anyone else? If there's even one small thing you can do to make it closer to that dream of yours, why wouldn't you start doing it?

Want to be a writer? Write. Want to become a marathon runner? Put on your sneakers and start with a walk. Want to become a doctor? Volunteer to see if the field is for you.

The world needs people who are going to work hard, follow their passions, and achieve their ultimate goals - so why can't you be the person who does that?

If you could do anything, knowing you couldn't fail, what would you do? What's stopping you from doing it?