Cancel Culture Is Destroying Everything Except COVID-19

Several well-known celebrities are being attacked online since fans are bored out of their minds with nothing to do at home due to the coronavirus outbreak.

17

If you've been locked up in quarantine, which almost everyone has been, then you've rotated through plenty of social media apps, and you've probably found yourself reading a lot of celebrity drama. It seems that this COVID-19 season has really increased fans using "cancel culture" amongst social media platforms to ruin celebrities' reputations.

So, what is "cancel culture?" It all followed the hype and status of well-known actors and artists. According to Aja Romano for Vox media, she defined it as "effectively end[ing] their career or revok[ing] their cultural cachet, whether through boycotts of their work or disciplinary action." In other words, cancel culture is ruining a celeb's status.

Typically, this isn't as prevalent as COVID-19 has made it. Internet users, and dare I say "fans," have become so bored that they actively sought issues to call out their favorite celebrities. Zenith, an analytics company for Vox, reported in 2019 that the average person spends 3 hours and 30 minutes on their phone (about 25 hours per week), but that number has increased since this dreaded house arrest. Now, that number has increased 36% to about 7 hours and 48 minutes (about 54 hours per week).

James Charles, Ellen DeGeneres, and Timothée Chalamet are just a few of the stars who have suffered this horrendous trend. They are victims of what seems completely absurd in such an already chaotic time.

Charles, who is almost always caught in a scandal, has received backlash for joining in on a Tiktok trend where your post your "mugshot." He was not the first, nor was he the only participant on the video platform, but he is the only one that received endless hate for being "insensitive to domestic abuse survivors."

DeGeneres hosted an at-home version of her famously comedic and catty talk show, and she made a joke about being "a prisoner" due to social distancing regulations. Many fans attacked her for her insensitivity to actual prisoners since she has been "imprisoned" in a $27 million mansion.

Internet users harassed Chalamet for saying the "N" slur in character during a live script reading. Since when did it become a crime for an actor to do his job? Lucky for Chalamet, several fans were immediately to his rescue.

These three celebrities have become victims to cancel culture within the course of COVID-19. With the increase of screen time, more celebrities will probably undergo this tragic phenomenon.