The Mental Health Coping Kit Everyone Should Have

You are so going to make it.

182
Unsplash

Being in school or working is hard. Finding a rhythm to going to class, doing homework, dealing with a new roommate(s), being homesick, trying to pay bills, and trying to find time to keep it together can be so tough. Many people don't even talk about it until the time is in the past.

As a mental health advocate at the University of Dayton, I am in tune with so many mental health resources that exist that people don't even hear much about. SOOOOOOOO, I put together a "Mental Health Coping Kit" for every student who may need it.

Firstly, there are so many ON CAMPUS resources such as Campus Recreation, Office of Learning Resources, Public Safety, Student Organizations, the Brook Center, the Counseling Center (which includes so much...seriously, check their programs out), and so many more. That is not necessarily what this is about. I want to use this opportunity to tell you how I got through my hard times using my own new coping skills.

1. Writing for Odyssey: writing these articles has helped me get my thoughts out of my mind and onto a screen--and I am so grateful.
  2. Hanging out with friends! Don't be afraid to reach out. They're scared to ask too.
  3. Morning walks. I've done this almost every day for a few weeks now and it has made all the difference for me.
  4. Journaling and setting intentions in the morning
  5. Cry it out for a little bit. Let yourself feel those feelings. It's okay to feel.
  6. Read a good book
  7. Listen to an interesting TED Talk!
  8. Make a list of affirmations on index cards and leave them around your room. Finding these is such a cool experience because you're not even looking for them and then they show up.
  9. Keep a few pictures of those you love most in your top drawer. Pull them out when you need a reminder of those you love.
  10. Listen to music. THIS is my favorite positive playlist on Spotify.
  11. Write down one positive thing about yourself every day and put it into a jar. On a bad day, take one out and read it.
  12. Ask your closest mentors to write something positive for you. It's difficult to ask for, but the end product will mean the world in your darkest moment. I did this in 2018 and I still hold the book "I Am Enough" with all those positive words on the inside as tight as I can when I need a hug.
  13. Color a cute picture! I can't tell you how many random pictures I have in my room (lol).
  14. Go somewhere outside. Connect yourself with the outdoors and feel the colder air hit your skin. Ground yourself.
  15. Make a list of blessings in your life. This tends to help me feel better about myself.
  16. Call someone close to you to talk it out. You are never alone.
  17. GO ON TIKTOK. I'm telling you, nothing can brighten your spirit like a good 10 second TikTok.
  18. Take a shower and listen to positive music while you're in there. Singing in the shower is a whole mood.
  19. Think of three truths about yourself. (EX: I am worthy. I am important. I am enough.) and repeat them.
  20. Make a coping box. I thought it was stupid until I made one. In my coping box, I have so many things like molding clay, positive affirmations, a card from someone, pictures with my support system, coloring pages, supportive notes, a bracelet, nail polish, aromatherapy spray, and one gold star for every day I make it.

Using this list could make all the difference for you. Things may be so hard right now, because I know college is hard, but I promise you that you can do this.

As a senior looking back, I wish I would have had a senior look at me and tell me what I am going to tell you: It is all going to be okay. It is so tough. It can feel like it's not worth it, but it is absolutely worth every bit of energy. One day you will cross that stage and thank yourself for fighting.

And if no one has told you yet, I believe in you, I care about you, and I know you can do this.

Keep your light shining.