How To Build Your Spirit When Anxiety Tears You Down

Just because you may feel alone doesn't mean that your spirit should be left alone.

158
HDQwalls.com (Mikey Mack)

Loneliness. Feeling "lonely" means a lot more than being alone and having nobody to hang out with. In fact, that is the most basic part of it. Feeling lonely can also mean feeling like you cannot be understood or cannot find anybody to relate to due to life events or having a mental disorder. As somebody who has anxiety and has been prone to hide away from people as much as possible, I can tell you firsthand that feeling depressed and lonely are realistic, strong, and sudden emotions. No matter how much I enjoy being alone after a long day or week, there comes a point where physically being alone is just as overwhelming (if not more overwhelming) than being around a crowd of people.

Being alone is good for people like myself who have anxiety and need a lot of time to unwind, reflect, and test our independence and spirit. However, I have noticed that just like too much of anything is a bad thing, too much sleep and too much time away from people becomes problematic. For me, it allows my brain to skyrocket with negative thoughts about the future; in that sense, being alone too long causes me to become overwhelmed with negativity to the point where I cannot focus on what really is important. Being alone causes me to feel lost. A lot of times sleep is my first instinct. While a good nap after an all-nighter and a long day working is definitely a relief, it becomes addictive if you are lonely (especially during the summer), and then there are a lot of opportunity costs.

Anxiety and depression are mental illnesses that do not go away (as much as we would like them to) and rather lead to negative thoughts that can easily affect one's physical state. Prioritizing, helping others, and realizing spiritually you are not alone are challenging tasks. Even though I am away from all of my good friends as I speak, I have my family to help me as much as they can. I have my spirit to lead me where I need to go. I have my close friends to talk to online. It is surreal how much anxiety and depression can cripple a lifestyle and how they can make you feel paralyzed to the point of not wanting to even leave your bed. Believe it or not, there are so many people who have endured both of those mental illnesses and have come a long way. Therefore, use that as a tactic to build up your spirit when your mental state starts to decline.

Build up your spirit by taking three steps: Recognize your mental state, Cope with negative thoughts, and Learn from past experiences about what can build you back up. Perhaps you feel anxious or depressed for no apparent reason. They both are sneaky and vicious mental disorders that can make you feel alone. Coping with them by reaching out to people who you trust and learning what truly makes you happy is the key to success. Even though they are strong and do not go away, it is a battle that you can win by doing things that you tell yourself that you do not like, such as talking to other people or going out.

Mental health is something to be taken seriously, because mentality is key to every single action that you take in life. I understand that they are disorders that you cannot simply "get over" and "cheer up" from, but at the same time, they can really do more harm than good if you allow them to push your spirit away. So, be sure to keep your spirit by your side no matter what. Never hesitate to talk to friends online or do something productive for your family, even if it's something as minor as cleaning the kitchen. Helping others out and looking for reassurance are stellar ways to build up your spirit to help shield you from the battle of bad thoughts.