How to Have Constructive Internet Conversations

Tips to avoid trolls and putting your foot in your mouth.

64
Innolect Inc

In a world where social media allows everyone's voice to be heard it's nearly impossible to avoid having whatever you say go unchallenged. The soap box wars between internet trolls and those just trying to enjoy the interwebs are fought over every topic imaginable. When was the last time you've watched a viral video or followed a trending hashtag that didn't cause someone you know to lose their mind? Social media is the the drug den of all gossip addicts, and the media outlets are the dealers deciding which topic and messages they want to use to wind up their customers. We've all seen those people in the comment sections that just go on and on and on repeating their point over and over again or argue as if it's a debate competition and they have to counter and disagree with whoever replies. Now this happens no matter what but how can you make sure your conversations are good in quality and progressive like a proper discussion instead of a mad house, Jerry Springer like yelling match?

First off, realize that the internet trolls can and will try to distract you by trying to make you become emotionally compromised. If you're getting heated, take a breather and let the trolls think they won by ignoring them, you can always come back after you've chilled out to continue on with a level head. Usually it's best not to engage in the trolls so just don't take the bait if they nose their way into your comments, but if you do don't let them know they've made you upset, that's begging for more. Use calm language, act like everything they say doesn't bother you.

Second, think about how people will react when you decide to voice your opinion. Is this a very strong opinion and come across as pushy or snobby? Will it actually lead to a good conversation? Is it the truth or are you just claiming your thoughts and opinions to be true? How can it be seen as false? Is it a hot topic right now that upsets people? Are you beating a dead horse and throwing out another post that just paraphrases popular posts or talks about topics that have your friends begging you to shut up? I'm not saying don't post topics that will attract gossip junkies and trolls, but just have some foresight and be ready for what you think will come your way. If you get easily upset because you didn't think someone would say this or that about what you posted and don't like having your posts critiqued then work on clarifying your thoughts before you post or review the people that can see your posts and your privacy settings. Also there are myriad fan pages and group pages that will have set respect rules and themes that can allow for better reception.

Third, be open about your expertise and aware of it's implications. If you just spout off negative comments and criticism without being able to tell people where you're coming from then you can bet they probably won't agree with you. It can work really well if all parties involved do this at the beginning of the conversation and in a respectful way so that biases can be addressed if not put aside. Be careful that you don't come off as intentionally egotistical or patronizing as this may take away from how your thoughts are perceived. Ask yourself "How does this make me sound and does my background improve or hurt my arguments?" because if it does then you should probably find ways to improve how your message comes across or your knowledge on the subject beforehand.

If you can't take the heat then stay out of the kitchen, but if you're not afraid to get burned and can handle the comment sections you see on the top posts you see these days then go crazy. Just don't complain about what you see on the internet or it will come back to annoy you even more.