Constant Overuse

Constant Overuse

Be the person sitting on the park bench without technology.

20
Constant Overuse

Wake up, then check your phone, eat breakfast, then lie in bed and watch TV. Go to class then check social media on your laptop, come home and watch more Netflix Before it's time to sleep, play on your phone for hours… technology can be overpowering.

The mindless hours we spend on our phones and computers can start to add up. A small device in your hand that never leaves your sight is now consuming the time that could have been spent with roommates, friends, and family members. Most of us are in denial when it comes to how much time we spend with technology. We make excuses such as “I need to have my phone on all the time for work” or “I have to have my laptop with me to complete my schoolwork on time.” For some, this need for technology is apparent and critical for success, but for others, there is no dire need for the constant use of technology. It has grown normal to our generation that texting while at a dinner, calling someone while you’re having a conversation in person with someone else, or checking social media while studying is routine. These bad habits need to change.

Remember when you were younger and you went to the park, played outside with friends, or just read books (...real books with real pages?) I would like to think that the parks aren’t as crowded anymore or that I don’t see children playing down my neighborhood streets because maybe they are involved in other activities. But part of me knows that, with technology becoming such an overpowering tool, many of the young kids are asking for phones, tablets, and video games as young as six years old. That is crazy!

However, technology is not all bad. Phones and computers are a great use of communication and there are numerous benefits for having the devices. It just seems there is overuse of the tools.

Be the person sitting on the park bench with no technology in your hand… no social media at your fingertips or text messages you're responding back to. Be the person that is observing everything around them, people watching and getting a fresh, clean mind on what today will bring them. Reflect on relationships with friends and family. Instead of checking Facebook or Instagram to see what they have been doing, go see them face to face and have a conversation. Face-to-face interaction is slowly dwindling away.

So instead of the pattern of everyday use of technology, switch it up. Stop making excuses as to why you have to check your phone when you are in the presence of someone else. As drastic and important as receiving a message can seem, it probably can wait a few more minutes. When you’re going home after a long day, technology can seem like the only outlet. It is not and that book on the shelf needs some dusting off and a little attention. Put your phones down. What have you got to lose?