It Seems Like All I Did Growing Up Was Pack And Move

5 Things you wont understand if you haven't moved around your whole life

24
organizartevalencia.blogspot.com

I grew up moving around a lot. So much so, that people thought I was a military kid, but I was actually a pastor's kid. I moved every single semester of my high school/college years. I went to 4 different High schools in just two years. Thankfully I graduated early, or I would have gone to 8 different high schools. Moving has its ups and downs, but one thing is for sure, if you haven't moved around (especially during adolescence) there are some things that you wont ever understand. Maybe this article will shed some light on how you view and treat new people that are entering a new place and season. I know you may be used to your world and your friends that you have had since birth, but not all of us have had that luxury throughout the years.

1. It's Hard To Keep Friends

You know that group of friends you have that you've known since first grade, or middle school, or even college? If you've moved a lot you probably don't have that. If you're like me, you worked hard to make close friends at your new place but once you move again, those friends don't stay in touch. I understand that life moves on and friends are sometimes for seasons. But, for me, I got tired of hearing "We will always be friends and we will stay in touch" only to realize that their lives moved on without me.

2. You Feel Like An Outcast

When you are the new kid, everyone seems to have inside jokes and memories from years ago that they can talk about for hours. Meanwhile, you try to laugh like you know what's going on when you really just feel super awkward and wish that you could somehow relate. So, you fit in to the best of your ability and pray that you will stay with these friends long enough to have memories to look back on, which sadly doesn't always happen.

3. You Will Always Be The New Girl/Guy

Every time you move, your name continues to be "The New Kid". Sometimes being the new kid has its perks, but really it just feels like you may never be a regular kid with regular friends. It seems like you will always be "The New Kid" who everyone is still skeptical about. Because no one trust you yet, you may not ever fit into their set in stone group. This makes you feel like an intruder and not a potential friend. You may even begin to think that your name is actually "New Kid" and no longer respond by your actual name, which is unfortunate.

4. You Have To Take Initiative When It Comes To Making Friends.

Most kids have lived in the same general area for most of their childhood. This makes it hard for them to understand what the new kid feels based on the simple fact that they have never been the "dreaded new kid". Some people may go out of their way to reach out to you, but most of the time you have to make all the efforts. This wasn't too hard for me because I was super extroverted back in the day, but if you are introverted or shy this may be a challenge for you. If you don't make an initiative, you may not make very many friends, which stinks.

5. You Have To Be Okay With Being Alone.

Because you are always moving and changing friends, you have to figure out who you are and be okay with being alone at any moment. At any given time you may have to pack up and leave, so you can't find your identity in your friends, your school, or in your church. You have to know who you are and what you stand for. If you don't figure out who you are, being alone with yourself can be scary and depressing. This can be a very positive time in your life if you let it mature you, rather than depress you. Take it from someone who has been there.

Although moving a lot can be painful and uncomfortable, it can also make you a better person and help you find yourself. If you are someone who moves often, make it a goal to find yourself and apply yourself completely even if you may move tomorrow.

"Wherever You Are, Be All There."- Jim Elliot