Consistency, The Key To Every Door

Consistency, The Key To Every Door

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

8
Jedidah Jenkins

Before I start writing an article about a single word or phrase, I like to break down the meaning of the word/words or perhaps - what that word means to me.

So, let's break it down for you.

The word 'Consistent', by definition: (adj) means unchanging in achievement or effect over a period of time.

This definition scares me a little bit, as it should.

Consistency, or the act of being consistent, is something all of us struggle with whether we would like to personally admit that or not.

Why do I write about this? Because I have realized that "being consistent" is an issue I struggle with on a daily basis and writing about it makes me think of the issue as more real than it already is.

Having more of a 'creative' mindset, my mind is always roaring. I am always thinking. Maybe, some of you could relate?

Because of this, I get a lot of ideas that pop into my brain daily. I get inspired by very little things. And, of course, big things that happen through life experiences.

I never realized how much of a trouble this can be, thinking of one thing after another.

Often times it may feel as if I am on a rollercoaster ride that is constantly going straight, then goes up, then back to it's normal speed.

I get a lot of my inspiration from music. The idea of me not being very consistent first came to me through a song. One of my favorite singer/songwriter's is John Denver. I was listening to his song 'Rocky Mountain High' and in his song, he says "You may say he found a key for every door".

That's not how life works sometimes. You have to take risks. By taking risks, you have to be consistent.

I thought to myself, "What would be a key to ever door?"

Being consistent, I thought to myself. Where did that come from?

I then realized, being consistent with ANYTHING is the first step to success.

Thinking of starting a business, creating a non-profit, learning a new instrument, traveling, saving money, you name it - in order to succeed properly with all of these life goals you have - one must be consistent.

This was a sudden moment of realization to me.

Like I said, I go from one idea to the next. I could start something and then have someone else finish it with no problem. This by no means makes me lazy, I would say, but just blissfully scatter-brained. I am always excited to learn new things and try something else out. Could you say I get bored easily? Maybe.

One thing I know for sure is, if you want something - you have to work for it.

The best things in life do not come by taking short cuts.

You're going to deal with a lot in life. Learn how to adapt and learn how to be consistent.

Be consistent with yourself, your career, your family, and everything else the world offers you.