10 Questions To Ask Yourself To Protect Your Mental Health Before Watching 'Euphoria'

HBO's "Euphoria" is not afraid to tell the truth of adolescence. The real question is can you handle the truth?

642
HBO

In my opinion, Generation Z is consistently misrepresented in movies and television.

This creates a skewed version of what life is like growing up in the technology age and it fails to shed light on the trauma and pain adolescents face today in the midst of the coexisting social media age where everyone puts on a facade camouflaging the pain they experience hidden behind Instagram captions such as "living my best life."

To my surprise, Sam Levinson finally got it right by executive producing, writing, and directing the HBO show "Euphoria." Sam Levinson painted the highs and lows of adolescence today by hiring a diverse staff of actors that embody their character's internal struggle whether that is addiction, mental health issues, trauma, identity issues, sexuality, or teenage rebellion.

Something "Euphoria" does extremely well is not glorifying mental health, addiction, or trauma but rather encapsulates the tension and triggers survivors of trauma have to deal with daily and strive to overcome.

Yes, you see characters relapse, regress, and fall into their old habits but despite that you root for them to persevere. I think this is because we see ourselves in the characters in the show and sincerely empathize with their experiences.

Before watching the show I encourage you to watch the season one trailer link and ask yourself these 10 questions:

EUPHORIA Official Trailer (NEW 2019) Zendaya New HBO Series HDyoutu.be

Am I mature enough to watch?

When I say "mature" I am not referring to a specific age. In my opinion, there is no age requirement to watch the show, it simply boils down to can you handle the dark side of life and watch it on the live screen.

Can you handle watching addiction, overdose, and relapse?

Can you handle watching intimate partner violence and traumatic bonding theory?

Can you handle watching an abortion?

If these topics are too difficult for you I advise that you delay watching the show until you have the mental capacity and maturity to process.

Will I be triggered?

HBO's "Euphoria" breaks down the dark side of life which includes but is not limited to: addiction, intimate partner violence, sexual assault, self-harm, suicidality, abortion, mental health disorders such as substance use disorder and bipolar.

Throughout season one viewers may identify with some of the conflicts that arise between characters which can be very triggering.

Am I ready to self-reflect on my current or past adolescent experiences?

The characters on "Euphoria" are high schoolers. Regardless if you're a high school now, this show will prompt you to reflect back on your high school experiences.

While everyone has had a different high school experience I believe this show encapsulates what high school is like, the good, the bad, and everything in between. Are you ready for self-reflection?

Will I see myself in one of the characters?

Each of the characters has their own internal struggle on top of their struggle of being nonconformist in society.

For example, the character Jules Vaugh played by Hunter Schafer struggles with being transgender in a binary world.

Due to the realistic depiction of each character's struggle it is important to prepare yourself prior to watching.

Am I comfortable with nudity?

HBO is notorious for hosting shows that have explicit content.

"Euphoria" has a lot of nudity and sexually explicit content. If you're uncomfortable with seeing nudity on TV then I recommend fast-forwarding during those scenes.

Am I too vulnerable to watch this show alone?

"Euphoria" goes in great breadth and depth in many different traumatic life experiences. Looking back I wish I would have watched this show with someone else instead of by myself because I believe I would have been able to process the trauma in a healthier way.

Will I practice self-care and pause the show at times?

Some scenes are hard to watch whether you identify with a character's experience or not. It is OK to pause the show to process what you're witnessing.

The show displays violence, intimate partner violence, and overdoses in great detail and at times it can be extremely difficult to watch.

This is when it is most necessary to prioritize your mental health.

Whether you're witnessing something traumatic through media or experiencing it first hand it is important to take a step back to process your trauma.

Will I have open dialogue with my loved ones after watching?

After finishing the first season it is important to process what you have watched.

After watching the show I recommend having an open dialogue with friends and family.

The reason this is important is because you never know what someone is struggling with behind closed doors if you never ask.

Am I willing to wait for season 2?

"Euphoria" is one of those tv shows that you capture and never releases your interest because of its complex plot and character development.

I binged watched all 8 episodes of "Euphoria" in one week and then was disappointed to find out that season 2 won't be coming out until an unannounced date in 2020.

Before watching the show it is important to remind yourself that no matter how fast you finish through season 1 you will have to wait for season 2.

The silver lining is that it gives you more time to pick up on symbolism and small intricacies of the show you might have not initially noticed before season 2 is live.

Will I seek care after watching?

After watching a show as heavy as "Euphoria" it is important to prioritize your mental health.

Something I did after watching the show was self reflect through journaling. If you feel you need more of an outlet after watching the show you can seek additional help using the following link HBO has provided here.

If you identify with the experiences that characters on the show experience it is important to remember that you are not alone in this experience and there are resources to help you cope.

If you have answered "YES" to all of these questions. Sit back, relax, and enjoy "Euphoria!"