2020 presidential race candidates

7 Confirmed Candidates For The 2020 Presidential Election We Need To Watch

The 2020 presidential elections are nearing.

616

Recently, it seems like the country is getting more and more polarized, and with that, many politicians are coming forward to throw their name in the bucket for potentially taking the current president's title. Below is a list of a few notable candidates that may or may not be taking Trump's crown, and that we should definitely follow in this extremely interesting political climate.

1. President Donald Trump (R)

So far, Trump is the only Republican who has come forward. He quickly confirmed that he was running for re-election back in June 2017. Democrats will definitely work on nominating someone who has a chance against Trump.

2. Senator Kamala Harris (D)

Senator Kamala Harris announced her running on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. She declared her principal goal to be raising incomes for working people. In addition, she's an advocate for Medicare for All, claims that she will push for reform of the cash bail system, and has championed the legalization of marijuana on a federal level as a way to dismantle the "failed war on drugs."

3. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D)

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand announced her candidacy on CBS's "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" on January 15. Her main platforms consist of a populist economic agenda, fighting for victims of sexual assault, women's rights, and gender equality.

4. Representative Tulsi Gabbard (D)

Representative Tulsi Gabbard announced her bid to become America's first female president on January 24. She made history when she became the first Hindu elected to Congress. Gabbard is likely to run as an economic and social progressive, similar to Sanders. Once known as a progressive star though, she has started to alienate her early supporters over her conservative stances on Islam and foreign wars.

5. Senator Cory Booker (D)

Senator Cory Booker announced he was running for president through a video tweet on February 1. He believes in promoting diversity, and has said "We have such a great field of leaders, I think you'll rarely see a Democratic ticket anymore without gender diversity, race diversity…I'm not going to box myself in, but should I come to it, you know I'll be looking to women first."

6. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D)

Senator Elizabeth Warren announced her candidacy at a Massachusetts rally on February 9. She believes that she can help rebuild the middle class and give opportunities to working families in tougher situations. In addition, she is fighting for more transparency in the White House (after Trump has refused to release any of his tax returns) and hopes to reign in corporate power (which is giving Wall Street a scare).

7. Senator Amy Klobuchar (D)

Senator Amy Klobuchar announced she was running for president at a rally in Minnesota on February 10. Some of her recent priorities include lowering the cost of prescription drugs, protecting online privacy, and addressing sexual harassment. Although she may not be as popular as the other current Democratic candidates, her policies are more moderate and she believes in bipartisanship, and that may be what the Democrats need in order to win against the Republicans.