Confessions Of A Fit Chick: Gym Pet Peeves

640
http://jeffreysharrison.com

As a woman, I quite often get a lot of stares when I walk into the "free weight" section of my gym. And no, that's not a narcissistic comment I'm making to tell the whole world that I think I'm hot— because that's not it at all. But the degrading, hungry, or questionable looks I get when I enter the "guys' zone" might as well be the same look you'd give a person with six heads. This is just one of my biggest pet peeves. I get it, it's kind of (not really) a new thing for women to be super into lifting. But it's the 21st century, "fit" is in, and it's starting to happen more and more. The weights aren't just for men, the cardio machines aren't just for women, and there are just some things you shouldn't do just because you see a girl in the gym.

Actually, there are some things you just shouldn't do in the gym at all (this goes for guys and girls).

When I'm at the gym, I do my best to block out the world. I don't go to the gym solely for strength. Sometimes it's about escaping the drama of the day, taking my mind off of something that drives me crazy, or just because I love to work out. I'm an endorphin junkie, always hyped on pre-workout and drenched in sweat.

There are instances, however, where the gym irritates me more than anything else. I'm human, I get annoyed by things, but I'm not the only one. I asked a group of women what their biggest pet peeves at the gym are, and here's what they said:

Getting hit on/interrupted by a male for small talk.

Listen guys, we don't mind small talk over coffee or when we're passing each other on the street. But when we're at the gym, in the middle of our workout, and our headphones are in (or even if they're not), do not interrupt our workout to hit on us or start small talk with us. If it's not an emergency, it can wait. If you wouldn't interrupt a guy during his lift for "chit chat," then don't interrupt us either. Thank you ;)

Screamers.

Look, we get that you're lifting a lot of weight (kudos to you,) and we understand that it takes a lot of effort to pull what you're pulling, but is the bloody murder scream really that necessary? (If it is, our bad, but it's annoying.) We understand a couple of hefty grunts here and there to pull your max or even a final heavy set— but if you scream every time you pick something up, please put it back down and turn the volume off.

Chronic Starers.

I don't even know if that's a word, but if you're staring at us intentionally— please stop. Sometimes we take it as a compliment, other times we get self-conscious, but more than that we think you're a stalker and we want to call 911. Okay, it's not all that bad when you stare at us while we're hitting upper body, but if we're on the abductor and adductor machine, and you're gawking at us as we try to work out our thighs— we're going to get a little uncomfortable. The gym is meant to be a safe place— please keep your eyes to yourself!

"Uh, do you need a spotter?"

Oh for the love of God, please do not ask if we need a spotter while we're squatting. If we need a spotter, we'll ask. Some girls might be cool with it, but a lot of the time you really freak us out and make us uncomfortable. Please, please, please, stop thinking about the booty and let us lift in peace.

"Do you need me to show you how to do something?"

Just because we're girls, doesn't mean we don't know how to lift. That's all.

Machine Monopolizers

We understand you want to claim that rack/machine for your workout. We get it if you want to superset, but claiming 10 machines at once is a little absurd and selfish. Also, kind of annoying when you put all your weight on a machine, leave your towel next to it to monopolize it, and then walk away and B.S. for 10 minutes. There are other people in the gym too, please remember that.

People who don't wipe down machines/benches after they use them.

We love to sweat. But we love our sweat, not yours. If you use a machine and your sweaty self leaves a mark, wipe that stuff down. I come to the gym to get healthy, not to get MRSA.

Mall Walker-Talkers

Okay, this one isn't always that fair because we shouldn't judge people. But does it annoy anyone else when people walk 1.0 mph on the treadmill and talk on their phone so loudly that you can hear their conversation all the way in Guam?

People who never re-rack

"Clean up, clean up, everybody clean up..." But really, if you're the one who used it first and you leave all your heavy plates on and don't re-rack, you're an awful person ('tis a joke, kinda.) We aren't your mother, your housekeeper, or your maid. Put your own crap away.

Machine Savers

If your friend isn't here yet, please don't "save" them a machine using personal items. That. Is. So. Annoying.

Screen Starers

This is basically self-explanatory. If you're sitting on a machine, staring at your screen, and haven't actually used the machine since you've been sitting on it— please get off of it so someone else can use it.

Girls who wear their hair down

Okay, you do you, girl—but why? It annoys some of us.. that's all.

Weight Droppers

We understand if you're on your last set, you're tired, and you're lifting heavy. But you don't always need to drop your weights. Yeah, sometimes you do when it's all heavy sets.. but come on. Sometimes you're just being obnoxious.

Attention Cravers

Get outttttttt mahhh face, dude. If you want our attention, wait until we give it to you. Respect our space and move.

Selfie-haters

Yeah, we like to selfie in the mirrors, that's what they're for, right?? You stare at yourself, we know it. Haven't you ever heard the phrase: take a picture, it lasts longer?

"Stop lifting so heavy, you're making us look bad/gonna look manly."

1) You make yourself look bad, what we do is independent of you.

2) Thank you, we always wanted to look manly. But tbh, strength isn't a male attribute. So leave us alone.

"Can I work in with you?"- Us, "No, I have one more set." *Takes them 25 minutes*

People who don't know how to re-rack.

Dude, the lower weights go in front of the higher weights if you're going to put them on different pegs—otherwise they get trapped. Just be smart, it's not rocket science.

To be honest, we can go on and on and on.

I know that not every girl feels this way. Some of these pet peeves aren't even my own—but I don't 100 percent disagree with them. There's a certain gym etiquette people should have to learn before they can get their membership.

What are your biggest gym pet-peeves?? Comment below