I Used To Be A Competitive Figure Skater, But Now I Have Nothing To Show For It

It was six years of my life wasted.
123

I do not know how exactly it was that I ended up figure skating. I think everyone in my hometown learned to skate, but I don't really know why we did it. We all learned to skate. A lot of us played hockey, and some of us figure skated. Some of us just learned to skate because everyone should learn to skate. I was a figure skater like everyone else.

And I have nothing to show for it.

I was a competitive synchronized figure skater for about six years, traveling to Pennsylvania and Upstate New York because apparently, it wasn't cold enough in Boston. I took ballet classes to improve my form and I lived at an ice rink. I knew girls who we thought might make the Olympic trials in a few years and I had coaches who proudly talked about their Olympic Silver medals and I spent hundreds of dollars on figure skates.

I don't have anything to show for it.

No, I have a few things.

I have the ability to put makeup on in a moving car, and I've had that since I was seven. I've known how to put on eyeliner since I was six, and I knew how to french braid my hair and put it in a perfect bun when I was eight. I have three bones in my right hand that has healed since a hockey net fell on it. (Don't ask, I still don't really know how it happened). I get far too into figure skating at the Olympics. I can tell you exactly what every single ice dancing pair does wrong when they don't win. It's not like that knowledge is helping at all in my adult life, but I have it.

I was a classically trained, competitive, synchronized figure skater, and I haven't picked up a pair of skates in six years.

I was a competitive figure skater, and I don't have a single useful thing to show for it.