What My Parents Taught Me About Comparisons

You should only compete with yourself

8

In all of the things my parents taught me, I feel like one of the things that stood out the most for me was comparisons. One of the ways we compare ourselves to others is through games. The "winner" is on top and the "loser" is on the bottom.

One instance that comes to mind took place in a basketball game. My younger brothers were in a league that the older siblings used to go to. They keep scores for the older kids, but not the younger ones.

As I was watching my youngest brother playing, I realized that I didn't really care that there was no score. I was just enjoying the game. Back when I played, I used to care about the score.

But now I was wondering: Why does it matter? My mom pointed out that you can still have fun in basketball without the score. I prefer watching my youngest brother's game. It's not that I didn't like the older one playing, of course, but when he played it was a completely different environment. I know sports are intense, but it was a little too intense for me.

With my youngest brother, there was none of that. It was sort of relaxed and I loved that. When we get older we become so concerned with who's on top and who's on the bottom, but why does that even matter? Sports should be about having fun, not who's won or lost. The same should go for life.