comparing my life to social media
Social Media

You Need To Stop Comparing Your Life To The 'Perfect' Ones That You See On Social Media

Stop comparing your life to ones on social media.

258
couple kissing

We are all guilty of it. Late nights scrolling through social media when suddenly you see another post that someone just got engaged or married to the love of their life, just got a job with a prestigious company or is sunbathing in in Bermuda with their fiancé. Continue to scroll and you will see a long, sappy post about how someone's boyfriend is the love of their life and they just don't know how they got so lucky.

This is not an article to bash people who post this kind of posts because believe me, if I could post those kinds of happy events in my life, I would. This is what leads me to the point of comparing my somewhat simplistic life to those that seemingly have it all.

Social media is not the main source of this issue, but it is definitely one of the main ones.

For me, seeing a "happy" couple for instance automatically gets me down. My crazy mind takes me to a place of great despair with thoughts such as "why don't I have that," "I bet they are so happy," or I'm sure they never fight."

Yes, I am that insane.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Why can't we be happy with our lives now and not compare lives to someone else's?

Comparing your life to someone else's is like comparing apples and oranges. Sure they are both fruits and yeah, maybe one is better than the other in someone else's eyes but at the end of the day, they are completely different.

The truth of it all is that "perfect couple" that you see on Instagram, Facebook, or on the street are probably going through hard times right now. You never know what people are going through behind closed doors.

We as humans are very good at putting on this facade, especially through social media.

Society has taught us to mask our inner despair and portray this unrealistic outward appearance of perfection.

So often, people feel as if they need to use a relationship, work, friends, or family to define them and not simply be who they are. Too often, we forget this and automatically assume that these people we see on social media have it all when in reality that is far from the truth. I am very guilty of this and sometimes I have to go to extreme measures such as not looking at social media for a while.

It can be very difficult not to compare ones seemingly perfect life to your own. But we need not to be fooled by this game of perfection that humans play.

Social media, magazines, movies, and TV shows place this idea in our minds of how our lives should be and make us feel as if people don't have any problems.

This essentially makes us feel like something is wrong with us if we do have problems because, according to society, that is not how we are supposed to be.

The truth is everyone has problems. Everyone feels as if they need to be something they are not. The strongest person in the world who seems to have the world figured out is probably the weakest person on the inside. It is so important to remember this and realize that none of us are alone no matter what it may seem.

Never underestimate your worth, regardless of what you have.