How To Make Commuting To College Easier With 10 Items
Education

If You Commute To College, Take These 10 Essential Items And Thank Me Later

If you wake up running late and have no time to grab breakfast, thank yourself for keeping granola bars stored in your car.

99

As commuters, we must be prepared for all types of weather, traffic, parking, and who knows what else. If you're a rookie or a freshman, these are the 10 items you must have in your car at all times. As for the juniors and seniors, the list can go on and on. We've all been there when the rain is down pouring and you have forgotten an umbrella at home while you race to and from class.

Don't be that unprepared commuter. It is like going to class without a pen or pencil.

1. An Umbrella

c1.staticflickr.com

Rain, sleet, snow, hail, or shine, weather can be unpredictable. That is why you always need to carry an umbrella in your car. A hoodie can only do so much and you don't want your backpack and hair to get soaked. Even if you don't have rain boots (let's be honest, who carries spare rain boots around with them) an umbrella is vital. When the weather gets bad you either have to make a run for it, wait it out, or buy an overpriced umbrella at the bookstore. Do yourself, your clothes, hair, and backpack a favor and keep an umbrella in your car.

2. A Jacket

upload.wikimedia.org

As I said, the weather can be unpredictable. One minute it's sunshine and the next it's freezing. Clouds have a special way of really clouding up your day. A jacket can be very useful if you feel unexpected rain (but you should already have an umbrella kept in your car), if the temperature drops, or if you ever decide you feel uncomfortable with your current outfit. A jacket can also hide stains and can be tied around your waist if you unexpectedly get your monthly friend.

3. Spare Money 

c1.staticflickr.com

Everyone these days swipes a card and that's it. Say you get a flat tire or your car breaks down and you need to call Triple A. You can't swipe a card to give the tow truck driver a tip. Say you need to pump air in your tires and someone at the gas station does it for you, a few extra dollars would be a nice tip. Say your EZ Pass falls beneath the seat as you go through a toll. I can think of a million different situations, but better safe than sorry.

4. Sanitary Needs

upload.wikimedia.org

Let's just say, I learned this one the hard way. I thought I was in the clear after my birth control lightened my period for months but luckily there was a Walgreens right by my work. We all keep tampons and what not in our bags, but sometimes we forget to replace them. Keep a full pack of pads and tampons in your car, you'll thank yourself later.

5. Deodorant 

pngimg.com

No matter what day it is, the sweats can happen whenever and wherever, especially towards the summer. If you are that person that sweats before a presentation and left your gym bag at home, run back to your car and grab deodorant. There are so many departments in your car for easy storage. In fact, just keep a whole spare beauty bag in your car.

6. Snacks

c1.staticflickr.com

Who can relate to always being hungry? If you are on the go between class and work, do not buy overpriced snacks at the student center. Buy a box of granola bars and keep them in your car. If need be, use a small cooler if it is grossly hot out. If you wake up running late and have no time to grab breakfast, thank yourself for keeping granola bars stored in your car. Gum also helps if you're so late you had no time to brush your teeth.

7. A FlashLight 

upload.wikimedia.org

From day one, I've always kept a flashlight in my car. Yes, you have your phone, but sometimes we lose our phones or they fall between the seat. If your phone falls in that dark abyss between the seat, good thing you have a flashlight to look for it.

8. Extra Shoes

Nike shoes scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

OK, maybe not brand new Nikes but maybe an old pair of sneakers or flip-flops. Whenever I wear flip-flops or sandals to school, I am always afraid they are going to break and my cheap Old Navy flips will come apart. Better than walking around with one shoe on, keep an extra pair in your car. This has never happened but I am always prepared.

9. A Phone Charger

c1.staticflickr.com

This doesn't mean just the cord. If you wake up and head to class in the morning, I always forget to plug my phone in at night, including my laptop. Most classes have outlets, so luckily I will do all my charging during class. Some classes do not offer outlets near your seat. A charger can literally come in handy any time of the day. Keeping a spare or portable charger in your car can come in handy.

10. A Change Of Clothes

c1.staticflickr.com

You will never know when you will need a change of clothes. Pants rip? Extra leggings in your car. Decide you want to workout? Extra clothes in your car. Decide to sleep over a friend's house? Extra clothes in your car. Endless situations, easy solutions. I suggest keeping an extra outfit in your car that you are comfortable wearing. For example, I feel fine in a t-shirt and leggings. You can never go wrong with a t-shirt. Maybe you forgot to keep an extra jacket in your car and you just spilled coffee on your new shirt. Don't worry about it, grab your spare t-shirt from your car. You will also never know when a friend will need a change of clothes either.