Rutgers Considers Reducing Parking On Campus
Campuses

Rutgers Wants To Reduce Parking On Campus, Which Will Negatively Affect Commuters

According to the report, Calcado points to the idea of sustainability as the main reason behind this eventual shift.

63

On two separate occasions this year, Rutgers showed a blatant ignorance towards its commuting students by deciding to open school despite Governor Phil Murphy declaring a state of emergency in both instances. With the tons of dangers that come with driving in the snow and ice, there simply was no reason why Rutgers, home to one of the largest commuter student counts in the world, remained open. However, when the situation could not look any worse, Rutgers just announced even more alarming news for commuters.

During a recent RUSA meeting, Vice President of Strategic Planning and Operations Antonio Calcado spoke about reducing parking spots in the long term. According to the report, Calcado points to the idea of sustainability as the main reason behind this eventual shift. He also mentioned innovating the bus system and the decision-making process in dangerous weather situations.

There are various logical fallacies with what Rutgers is presenting to students. One, there are more than a few things that Rutgers can do to cut down on emissions that do not involve removing parking spots, such as micromanaging energy use of buildings and facilities. More importantly, this move forces many future students who wish to commute to forcefully dorm at Rutgers. Even as a New Jersey resident, in state housing at Rutgers is by far one of the most expensive compared to other public universities, thus, commuting makes plenty of sense for those who are not as financially stable compared to others.

In addition, there are many students who live just five to 10 minutes away from Rutgers University. It would be insane to have those people live in residence at Rutgers with the decreased number of parking spots and commuters that will happen.

No matter how one looks at the situation, it is evident that Rutgers has shown even an ounce of support or commitment towards improving Rutgers commuters' lives. With this new announcement, it appears that this sentiment will not change anytime soon.