The Hate For Communication Majors Needs To Stop

The Hate for Communication Majors Needs to Stop

It is more than the "easy major."

324
Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

When I switched my major last year, I had no idea about all the negative stereotypes surrounding Communication studies. I quickly learned that revealing you are a Communication major opens you up to a lot of judgment. Some people see the major as the easy major for people who are not serious about college. Some people question if the major really prepares the student for the workforce. Other's tend to question why the world needs someone focusing on communication and what career could it possibly lead to. There tends to be a lot of hate for the major both on campus and off.

The truth is the Department of Communication is an umbrella for multiple majors. Journalism, Broadcasting, Public Relations, Theater, and Communications all fall under the same category. Surprise, all of them are valid majors with actual job opportunities. And yes, they all contribute to society in measurable ways. Theater has long been considered a form of entertainment. Yet, classical (and even modern) theater has also been a tool to present a political or ideological narrative to the masses. Also, if you think theater is a dying art: I want to remind you of Hamilton The Musical. Public Relations is also another valuable career. Even if you do not realize it, you come into contact with the work of a Public Relations specialist almost daily. They are present in organizations, brands, charities, hospitals, and even schools. Broadcasting and Journalism majors are at the forefront of the news and media. If we did not have Communication majors, we would have a serious void in the news media.

The truth is communications is a major that is always evolving. The AP Stylebook used to guide students is obsolete by the second year it is owned. Our society changes the meaning of words, symbols, EMOJIS, phrases, and actions regularly. The major requires effort to stay atop of the changes.

Communication majors are also keepers of language alongside language majors. Communication majors are held to the same standard as English majors when it comes to grammar and word usage.

Communications is all reading and writing intensive classes. You spend most of your time writing in multiple styles and adjusting your writing per class. Communications majors also have to come to terms with having their work torn apart and embracing third revisions (and sometimes many more.) Not to mention, if you struggled in Public Speaking or have issues giving public presentations you have no room to judge.

The next time you think communication majors are taking the easy way out, consider how much often your life is affected by the work of communication majors. It is time to stop looking down on other majors and start encouraging others to pursue their dreams.