Why Is Communication Important?
Education

Why Is Communication Important?

Communication is more than just your daily task.

684
Why Is Communication Important?
Photo by Pixabay

Everything we do to get into a career and work through it is very important. However, one very important skill seems to be far overlooked: communication. It is part of our everyday lives, and many people do not have classes for it unless they are studying in a field that deals with communication. Yes, a lot of classes touch on communication being important, but it is usually skills that are already well-equipped. Why is communication so important?

Alexander Choren's "The Importance of Communication in the Workplace" discusses how communication has a big role in any job you may have. She is an engineer and specifically targets engineers, but she also includes every other career. "... effective communication facilitates personal growth and professional development. Your employer doesn't question your technical aptitude. They know engineering is not an easy curriculum, and they're aware you've worked (or are working) hard to earn your diploma."

Every person studying towards a career will generally have the same skill sets with those in the same field. Communication can truly make or break how a person stands compared to other potential candidates for the same position. Companies strive for those that can effectively communicate to avoid damaging consequences. On shrm.org, an article states that "David Grossman reported in 'The Cost of Poor Communications' that a survey of 400 companies with 100,000 employees each cited an average loss per company of $62.4 million per year because of inadequate communication to and between employees. Debra Hamilton asserted, in her article 'Top Ten Email Blunders that Cost Companies Money,' that miscommunication cost even smaller companies of 100 employees an average of $420,000 per year."

It is important to learn all aspects of communication. We do it every single day, and if we were not to communicate with one another, it only leads to a bad route. Communication allows everyone to learn about different ideas, cultures, and just being able to form trusting relationships both in our personal lives and in the workplace. To expand upon those skills, go out of your comfort zone and do something different. Talk to more people and simply learn by doing.