Come And Take It: A Violent Declaration

Come And Take It: A Violent Declaration

Why a popular pro-gun illustration is both alarming and counterproductive.

1996
Come And Take It: A Violent Declaration
Blogspot.com

You’ve probably seen illustrations like the one above on bumpers stickers, T-shirts and possibly even tattoos. Have you ever wondered what it means? For me, it was one of those things I would always find curious, but never actually take the time to investigate. It wasn’t until recently, when I began to feel like I was seeing it everywhere, that I decided to do some research. What I discovered is alarming and might make you want to give cars with those bumper stickers a little more room on the road. It is important to note that I am not taking a stance on gun control here; I am specifically addressing the use of this graphic.

The symbol of the cannon and the star with the phrase “Come and Take It” originated in the form of a flag made in 1835 during the Texas Revolution from Mexico. Texians, the inhabitants of the place we now call Texas, in the city of Gonzales, refused to return a cannon given to them by the Mexican army for protection against violent Indians because they were worried that the Mexican authorities in power were planning to attack them. When forces were sent to retrieve the cannon, the people at Gonzales initiated the revolution by shooting at the Mexican soldiers. During what would later be called the Battle of Gonzales, the Texians raised a flag supposedly made from the wedding dress of a prominent Texian settler’s daughter with provocative words “Come and Take It.”

So, the Texians had a weapon that, rather than agreeing to hand over to the authorities, they fought for their ability to keep. And, just in case learning the history of the flag wasn’t enough to show its connection to a particular stance on gun control, contemporary remakes like the one below make the point more explicitly. Interestingly, “Come and Take it” comes from the Greek phrase “Molon Labe,” which means “come and take [them].” If this phrase sounds familiar, it’s because Molon Labe is a common saying among many pro-Second Amendment activists including former member of the House and popular pro-gun advocate, Allen West, who had it tattooed on his forearm.

Modern people who boast the "Come and Take It" flag, its remakes or Molon Labe on their shirts, trucks, chests, etc. appear to be conveying the message that they will attack anyone who tries to take their guns away in the same way the Texians attacked the Mexican forces at Gonzales, even if it means shooting fellow Americans. I don’t know about you, but I find this attitude disturbingly aggressive and undemocratic.

If I, without provocation, walked over and told you that I will shoot anyone who tries to take my guns away, would you think to yourself “now there is a calm minded individual”? No, to express things like this is to display the very attitude that pro-gun control people point to when explaining why there should be further restrictions on firearms. Those who take such a violent and extreme position further the idea that gun owners are looking for trouble; that they cannot be trusted to make calculated decisions in regards to when and how to use their weapons. In my mind, all that pro-gun people accomplish by conveying this message is scaring those around them and proving some of their political opponents right.

At first, outright refusal to comply with the law should it ever call for people to give up their guns may seem courageous and principled. These people seem to passionately believe that they would be justified in using force to protect what is of the utmost importance to them from being taken away. The problem, in my opinion, is that this mindset is incompatible with a democratic system of government. For instance, consider what would happen if everyone decided they were justified in attacking people to enforce their political beliefs. Democracy, the purpose of which is peaceful compromise, would no longer exist. There would be no point in voting if people were intent on disregarding the results. Also, isn’t the very idea that it is justifiable to use force rather than diplomacy to stop others from doing something with which you disagree what motivates abortion clinic bombers and Islamic extremists? What sets you apart from them if not your commitment to democracy and respect for others’ perspectives?

I believe that, by vowing to impose their values on others through force, those who display the Come and Take It flag or Molon Labe not only jeopardize their own pro-gun politics, but also disregard the importance of democracy and compromise in a place characterized by diverse perspectives. If these people approached the issue of gun control with a calm, balanced mindset and a commitment to diplomacy rather than making these kinds of declarations, I think they would better protect what they view as their Second Amendment rights and prove that they’re not as hot tempered as some gun control advocates portray them to be.